• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

soft top for the winter

xbanone

Anyone here in colder climates use thier softop all year long? I dont have a softop yet but the weather strip on my RUSTY hard top is shot and i'm freezing, how well does the soft top seal around the doors? am i better off replacing the weather strip or ditching the junk hardtop and going soft?? iny thoughts??

Brady

U

Unregistered

I am going to run mine, I am installing my heatercraft heater next week end.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
replace the weather stripping....its cheeper and you can scrape the ice off the hardtop windows better. Save the soft top for summer. Winter wears the soft top a little faster.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
My STC soft top is much warmer than my hard top ever was. Soft top for life!!! Snowing again today btw )

67ster

Bronco Guru
I ran my 'ol 66 winter and summer with a softop and it was comfortable . Took it hunting late one fall in the snow and it wasn't too bad either after I stuffed enough cardboard in front of the radiator to get the heater warm .

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
I run my fast trac year round, here in Colorado with no problems, all though you do not want to take an ice scraper to the soft top windows at all!

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
my STC soft top seals up better than my hard top ever thought of.I might as well sell my hard top ,got no use for it.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I run mine year round. But hey, I live in Southern California so that doesn't count. Snow? What snow? Only on T.V.

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Good to know!! Since this is my first winter in Colorado, I no longer have pressure to purchase a hardtop, although I suppose that would be ideal in keeping my soft top looking as new as long as possible...

david heater - What do you suggest using on the windows to get the snow off? The brush rather than the scraper?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Slumlord said:
What do you suggest using on the windows to get the snow off? The brush rather than the scraper?

just tap on the sides with your hand. no matter what you do (brush....)you risk scratching the plastic.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
david heater - What do you suggest using on the windows to get the snow off? The brush rather than the scraper? [/B][/QUOTE]

Brush does work, do not press against the windows. but you do stand the chance of messing up your " glass" hand a glove are the best way I have found. Excluding the blizzzard last year.

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I ran a soft top for "one" winter a few years ago up here.....I'll never do it again!...I froze my a$$ off all winter!...as for tapping the top to get the snow off, when the weather is in the negative degrees (10 below this morning at my house) don't tap the window itself, tap the top material! My back window cracked from top to bottom...

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
I think when he said "Northern Climates" he did not mean Alaska! What kinda freak uses a soft top in Alaska! What do they even breath up there in the winter? I would probly get eaten by a bear.;D

I use mine here in the arctice that is Indiana! Snow really does not stick to the side windows for long. But I warm it up alot, and BTW it sits in the garage overnight!:cool:

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I lived in Breckenridge and had a soft top on my old 69 and did fine. I'm lazy so I installed a block heater so I was good to go. The top is fine once you get to operating temp. I also lived in Ohio (which I think feels even colder) and same deal. You can live without and come summer, you don't need four buddies to take the damn top off.

(by the way I drove my old truck and "new" 69 to Colorado and back to Ohio a couple times and then to Georgia and even at speed they are livable)