• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Somebody talk me down from the ledge

mebco09

Heres my situation:

I have a 1967 Bronco in pieces that will take me at least a year to reassemble. I have a couple of other old cars, but an old wagon style truck would suit my family's needs right now (taking kids to baseball, groceries, work occasionally, etc.) My thought was to buy a finished Bronco to use as a driver in the meantime, while I worked on my 67. My budget has gone from $25k to $50k. After looking since the beginning of this year, I am simply frustrated that every rig I look at either gets sold, nearly immediately. or it is overpriced for what it is. $50k is getting close to Hi-Po Mustang money (there is one locally for sale right now for $52k-and its perfect.). Do these trucks even make sense to buy anymore?

So that leads me to my current question: My neighbor has a 1969 Scout. Original paint, clean, not hacked or lifted, running, disk brakes, needs nothing, and he will take around $10k for it. If it were a Bronco, it is probably a $35k truck. (When I showed it to my wife, she thought it WAS a Bronco...).

Just seems to me that a Scout or even a CJ7 that you could get for $20k, would be a better value than paying flippers markups on a Bronco, just because Lady Gaga drove one, or Ford is coming out with a new one (that will be a disappointment) or whatever reason people have for a fairly common truck to be so insanely priced.

I guess after all this ranting, my question is: Why wouldn't a guy buy a Scout?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
If you want to restore a scout look out. I thought Bronco parts were big $$. 1 fender for a scout is 600 plus. Then on the other hand the dollars you can get out of a scout is about half a Bronco...

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I guess after all this ranting, my question is: Why wouldn't a guy buy a Scout?

Cause it aint a Bronco!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is the way to go. You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it.

That said.....if you're looking to haul the kids around to all their activities, why not pick up a used SUV and not deal with the old stuff. 3K and be done with it. Then in a year or so, burn it if need be.

I got old stuff too but when it comes to taking the family places, we take the big red truck "Clifford".

Tim

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
You can jump in the scout and drive it for ice cream with the kids just as it is? Decent shape, runs, drives and stops? buy it as your life boat and have fun with it until you get the Bronco done. be careful though that it does not become a project in front of the bronco or cause you to sell the bronco project. I say buy it and have some fun while you have fun (and remove pressure to get it done) on building the dream Bronco.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do what makes you happy. The fact you have 50k to go to a bronco doesn’t sound like a problem to me. Haaaa. Blazer pre 73, scout 4 runner. Cj7 cj6 All cool trucks early a defender would be pretty cool too. I’m not selling my bronco though. Haa

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Scouts aren't bad if they're swapped out to gm drivetrain. Like svastano said. 600 for a fender. The scout only drivetrain parts are expensive too. 4runner isnt a bad dd option while restoring the bronco.. I've been looking for a late 90s 4runner.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
you can assemble your Bronco in a year?!? I'm impressed!! ;D

I had an '84 FJ60 Land Cruiser that was bulletproof, loved it, ton of room, I would find something like that, but that's just me. If you've got 3+ old project cars you don't need another.

68Broncoz

Contributor
Hey if you looking at a Scout I would refer you to Matt's Garage on youtube He has gone part way thru the Bronco restoration (sold it) and started back on his Scout. If you email him he typically responds. His latest Video on restoration projects is straight up and honest.

Chris

OP
OP
M

mebco09

you can assemble your Bronco in a year?!? I'm impressed!! ;D

"minimum" of one year. Probably more like 3....depends on how many baseball teams I coach in any given year.

I could always quit my job, then it might take me a year.

Jakedog

Got pics of the scout? I prefer a bronco over a scout, but the scout is a cool looking rig when it's done right.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The problem with your choices is short wheel bases and leaf spring front ends suck. Better to take that money and hire someone to help you get the Bronco done.