• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spark Plugs Wire Help

Edmond

Hello

I want to change the Spark Plug Wires on the bronco.
the current wires are falling apart and 2 of them are destroyed bad, they are 7MM.
it has a 302 engine, electrical distributor.

i dont think i want to put 7MM wires again or do i have too? Can i put 8MM wires? are they better then the 7MM?

just a note, i am installing Pertronix 40011 Flame-Thrower Coil. Should i just get wires from them also?

is there any wires that are factory fit and 8MM great quality that you could recommend for the bronco.. my budget is between $25 to $60. i just want great quality product.

greatly appreciated.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
You can put whatever size you want. Stock are 7mm and will work fine even with your new coil. 8mm or 9mm are great too, probably a little overkill for a stock 302. Summit Racing has some good Ford Racing and Motorcraft custom fit pre-assembled wires for less than $50.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
go with the prefit. crimping your own is a PITA better avoided unless you have a real NEED to do custom wires

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Those Ford Racing wire sets are female on both ends. You'll need to adapt your stock cap to the newer style that accepts female ends. The Napa Belden wires are stock replacement and come ready to run. Great quality, easy to source. They fit the stock distributor cap too.

Mark

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Those Ford Racing wire sets are female on both ends. You'll need to adapt your stock cap to the newer style that accepts female ends. The Napa Belden wires are stock replacement and come ready to run. Great quality, easy to source. They fit the stock distributor cap too.

Mark

I second that. That is all I run on my Broncos. Little bit more the Advance or Auto Zone, you pay for what you get..

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC

Mark

That's good advice. Probly cost less than 30 clams too.

OP
OP
E

Edmond

Mark

your right
didnt notice the female heads. thank you

going to check other brands.

how about MSD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161485987129?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321566093468?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575594842?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

few options

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Summit wires I posted are rebadged MSD Super Conductor wires for $25 bucks less.
Crimping your own spark plug wires is easier than crimping typical electrical wires.
I love custom fitting spark plug wires. Nice clean install that way.
My next set will be cut to fit.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have Taylor wires from Summit, I think they're 8.5,they were under $60,I'm also running the Pertronix flamethrower coil & dizzy, the only drawback was I had to make my own coil wire,good luck :cool:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I can't believe I'm the one saying this. But lately I just go to Auto Zone. GET THE WIRES WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY.
.. Then about once a year I take them back If I have any Issue . Get them replaced.

OP
OP
E

Edmond

many thanks everyone.
i decided to go with MSD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-31193-U...Parts_Accessories&hash=item258ac62a49&vxp=mtr

i went over my budget but i know i got something worth the money, paid $87.
This way i get to have both sets, currently i am using socket, incase if i want to change them to HEI, i can.
all the local retailers wanted minimum $65-$70 for an accel 8mm wire and socket only without the extra set of HEI.
I checked everywhere local for MSD, they all wanted over $100-$120 not including tax.
I will crimp them myself, cant wait to get them so i can boost the engine a bit.
the bronco ran on the same 7mm wires for over 5 years.

thank you very much guys for your advise. god bless

OP
OP
E

Edmond

hello lonesouth.

what a gentleman and full of class.
i thank you for your offer. glad you reminded me of that.
i do have a few electrical crimpers but not sure if it will work with the wires.
but i am sure i can find something local, few friends have mechanical shops, maybe i can find a crimper from them..
if not, then i will but one locally..
i hate to put you through the hassle of sending one to me..

again, i want to thank you a million..

best regards