• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo says 18 mph while parked?

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I just lubed my speedo cable and got rid of the bouncing around. However, it still reads about 18 mph while sitting still. Is there a way to adjust this? Thanks.

pondscum

says 18 mph while parked?

There is not an adjustment, one can only figure your speedo has one of several problems. Does your speedo begin to climb from 18mph as soon as the vehicle starts moving? If so this would indicate the pointer on your speedo has moved from where it should be. If not then the speedo needle ( pointer ) is being blocked by something inside the speedo. Either way, or if the problem is something else inside, the speedo is not designed to be taken apart and put back together. This stops one from changing the mileage on the vehicle. I would have another speedo before I tried to take one apart. Of course, if you could find a used car salesman.... HA HA. Wish I had better news.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
You must have used Galactic Lube. It's picking up the rotation of the earth.;D J/K. If you need another cable I have an almost new one. It wouldn't work with my Atlas.

OP
OP
malonejy

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Appreciate the offer ROKDWLR (you gotta love the Bronco community). It's not the cable because the speed didn't change while the cable was disconnected. At least it's not bouncing around any more.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Either way, or if the problem is something else inside, the speedo is not designed to be taken apart and put back together. This stops one from changing the mileage on the vehicle. I would have another speedo before I tried to take one apart. Of course, if you could find a used car salesman.... HA HA. Wish I had better news.

Actually, the speedo is a piece of cake to take apart. I disassembled mine to repair my odometer. There is a tech article written by Jeepster in the tech section on rebuilding the gauge cluster.