• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speedometer gear question

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm trying to get an accurate or close as possible reading with the new speedometer head I installed in the '76.
I went with a 16 tooth speedo gear ; which i understand is the fewest tooth count available ; and the speedometer is still about 10% off - on the low side - 50 mph on speedo is actually 55 mph.
Did Ford put different ratio drive gears in the TC output housings? I'm running 4.10s with 35" tires so it's a little on the "tall " end of things and I expected to have to go with 18-20 tooth .
Short of dropping to 4.56 gears is there a fix or do I just remember I'm 10% off ? At least that's better than 13% - easier math - LOL . { Oh - the local cops use any excuse to pull these "old" rigs over , check for insurance,current tags , safety etc. I know a couple of guys who got pulled over for no license plate light so 5 miles over speed limit is a guaranteed "stop and talk"}

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, 2 different driving gears.
Viperwolf made a nice chart that fives all the tooth combos. It is around on this site, I don't have a link in front of me. Give it a few hours, someone will post it here soon.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You need a 7 tooth drive gear.

Attachments

• speedo gear chart.JPG
    speedo gear chart.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
S

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Thanx for the info - now I need to find a source for the 7 tooth gear.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Are the gears color coded or got to try to count teeth?

The plastic ones are colored. Light blue for 7 teeth, green for 6 teeth. There are also steel versions of each. It is very difficult to count teeth on them.

Attachments

• Bronco 001.jpg
    Bronco 001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 36