• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squealing SERP belt!!! Out of ideas

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
i would change a belt, the noise would go away, then boom a few hundred miles it would be back. not saying thats it for sure but its a guessing game now. Run it without the fan.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Ran without fan and still squeaks.

Ran without fan and without belt. No squeak. Just making sure it isn't balancer.

It sounds central and I am positive it is not ALT, PS, or A/C. Got the stethoscope on the water pump, tensioner, and front oil pan bolts by balancer and I still can't isolate the sound.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Try a Dayco belt(the good belt from Autozone). They have cross cuts across the grooves. Just a thought. Man you are having a time.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
That doesn't make sense that it still squeaks. So a little comic relief. You have solved the problem twice but aren't willing to accept the results. Run without the belt as that's one of the times it doesn't squeak or mount a bar of soap to constantly apply soap to avoid squeaking. I'd say good luck but at this point you need more than luck. The old tensioner applies more pressure than the new one so replacing it shouldn't help. Keep trying, I've run out of patience with it.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
For $11, I'd try a 1/2" shorter belt.

Where are you buying $11 serp belts? If I go 1/2" shorter it will not fit. Like I said earlier, I have to fight to install this size as it is.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Man I'm lost for words bring the tensioner back to Napa tell them it didn't fit or whatever. I see you have an ac compressor I know your not running it right now but maybe the clutch is engaging and there's something wrong there, but I'm just throwing darts in the air now and hoping one hits somewhere. Sorry man.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I will keep the tensioner. It's not NAPA's job to troubleshoot my junk.

Just ran again per your suggestion and AC clutch is disengaged and not cocked. I have seen that before though where it was cocked slightly and partially engaging pulley.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Where are you buying $11 serp belts? If I go 1/2" shorter it will not fit. Like I said earlier, I have to fight to install this size as it is.

Just saw several online for under $20. Not having your belt here to measure, it'd be hard to link you to an exact size, but I'd link you to one 1/2" longer (or next metric equivalent up).. If you fight it to get it on, does that sound like it's the right size? I've wasted enough breath, good luck.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Just saw several online for under $20. Not having your belt here to measure, it'd be hard to link you to an exact size, but I'd link you to one 1/2" longer (or next metric equivalent up).. If you fight it to get it on, does that sound like it's the right size? I've wasted enough breath, good luck.

Sweet! I have never been so lucky to get out of the store for less than $25 or $30. I actually tried 1/2" longer when I did the swap and the tensioner just didn't have enough left to keep it tight. This length was what I had to settle on.

I'm not sure why you feel you have wasted your breath. I appreciate everyone's input.

BTW- Gates K060960 96-5/8" (55 Posts ago ;D)

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well that makes sense. Wasn't aware the last 3, or 4 for metric, was the length. Sweet! When I converted the parts guru at Napa was helping me with belt lengths. Took me about 4 tries to get it right. Had to keep stepping it down each time. Now I am not sure if we went from 96-5/8 to 96 or not. It is worth a try though.

Aside from that, do you feel that that has something to do with the squeaking?

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Yes, normally too loose will cause it. In your case if the tensioner is too tight and not allowed to do its job, the belt could slip also.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
The new belt is squeaking already. I found both a 96.29" and a 96.61". Gonna try them both and see what happens.