• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squealing SERP belt!!! Out of ideas

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So are you thinking the belt is slipping due to the pulleys finish if so rough up the surface where the belt rides and see if it changes.

Suggestions as to how i would accomplish something like that?

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If you have a wire wheel in a bench grinder just spin it around that way could use a wire wheel mounted in a drill you would just have to make sure not to stay in one place to long. Or you could use some 120 grit sand paper will take longer Scotch brite will do the job too. What aftermarket balancer are you running.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Actually I ran a wire wheel to it initially to ensure I removed all contaminants (i.e. Soap, oil, dressing, etc.).

Will get back to you on balancer info.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
After running wire wheel was it noticeable rougher or just clean might need to do it longer. You could also paint the surface with some primer or anything none gloss.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I didn't really take note. Will throw the hard-core wire wheel on the angle grinder tomorrow.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If this is the balancer you have you can use a 95 mustang crank pully I think I have one lying around pm me if you want it for free to try.
pfs-80006

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a aluminum crank pulley it was a 3 belt for add on a/c had the same problem. It was very slick looking I think it was anodized aluminum so I sand blasted the grooves and that fixed it but it wore out real fast after I did that to it .

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Painting a few layers of primer on the crank pulley today to see what happens.

Here is the balancer I am running.
Professional Products 28oz.

1116.jpg

There are no identifying marking on this balancer so I am not 100% certain it is 28oz vs 50oz. I got it from a buddy so trusting he told me the right thing.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
They are 28oz with the option to bolt on a weight to the back to make them 50oz a 94-95 5.0 mustang pulley will bolt right on and line up with what you have they also make spacers to line up other pulley setups

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Okay. So if i don't have a weight i am in the clear. Thanks!

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well the 3 layers of primer i painted on the aluminum crank pulley changed nothing. Moving on to the grooved idler next. :-(

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I know that our issues are a little different as mine goes away right after startup...but I replaced my tensioner with a new Motorcraft unit and 90% of the squeal went away. I thought the rest of the issue was a dying battery so I replaced it and got another 5% better.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You did not replace the bearings on the SERP?

Because why?

Stock 351 heads on the 351?

When you bolted the serp up, did all the flanges touch evenly and square before you tightened them?

Belt, what brand? I bought three and took two back, the gates was to short by 1/2 inch, the cheapy NAPA one looked like it wouldn't make it a month, and I used the Motorcraft expensive one, $80, figure it lasted 100,000 miles before.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
You did not replace the bearings on the SERP?

Because why?

Stock 351 heads on the 351?

When you bolted the serp up, did all the flanges touch evenly and square before you tightened them?

Belt, what brand? I bought three and took two back, the gates was to short by 1/2 inch, the cheapy NAPA one looked like it wouldn't make it a month, and I used the Motorcraft expensive one, $80, figure it lasted 100,000 miles before.

I had been using that serp setup for 10 without an issue. This started after i ditched the 302 for a 351. No reason to suspect a bearing coincidentally went bad during motor swap.

Stock heads.

Not sure about squared brackets. I can rip everything off and check. Got no other leads.

Tried gates and dayco.

I am glad to drop some $$$ on a good belt but not until this issue gets fixed.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
That doesn't sound logical. If i ran gates and dayco on my explorer serp on the 302 without issue, why would i not be able to on the 351?

Agreed, a Motorcraft belt would last longer and may take longer to start squawking, but i am willing to bet it will happen.

I like the bracketry alignment suggestion though.