• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stalling in public-not cool

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
My 73 stalls anytime it hasn't been started for a while. It has to either warm up forever or I have to play the gas-brake game for the first 20 minutes. It does not matter whether it's hot or cold (it does do it worse when it's cold). It's a stock 302 with a stock 2 barrel. Somebody help me, it's pretty embarassing, for the truck I mean.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
i would check fuel filter, and fuel lines
Make sure the pump is good
then re-tune the carb
if needed rebuild the carb
then new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap etc

Then if it is still having troubles I am at a lose. Those are in order of the most likely problems.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would look at a stuck or mis adjusted choke and or a low float issue. If you still have points your gap may be to narrow.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Does it ever idle correctly? If it stalls both hot and cold, I would start searching for a massive vacuum leak. You also need to check the obvious things like were mentioned above. Do you have points ignition or electronic?

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
sorry I was away on business, so it has taken me forever to get back to this. It idles just fine after getting going. I have points, 2 barrel(original),new wires, cap, pluggs, whole engine in fact(only1500 miles on it). I think it must be a vaccum issue or something with my brake booster(disks up front w/ power). I don't think I have an obvious vacumm leak but i need to check again.

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd like to hear some more sugestions on this too. I am having the same problem right now. It will idle only if I bump up the RPM's and then it runs like crap if it doesnt just stall.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I would tap the adjuster screw with a hammer. Yes that is just a tap. I had my 4 barrel and my 2 barrel get some gunk in the float assembly and it starved the engine of fuel. If that doesn't work, I would take the float off and clean it all out. Also I would add/ change filters to the system to make sure the fuel is clean.

A brake booster will also cause this same kind of dilemma which I have also experienced. The best way to isolate that problem is to disconnect the booster and plug the hose. If it all of a sudden runs worlds better then that is your problem.

Does it run better with more RPM? As in over 1000 or drving down the street? If so you could also have a problem with the idle circuit in your carb.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Sounds like a choke problem to me. Dont know if a 76 has an electric or heated choke. If its electric, make sure it has 12 volts to it cold, clean it out with carb cleaner & if it still dont work replace the heated coil in the black plastic housing. If its a heated vacuum type with a tube going to the exhaust make sure its not plugged, clean it and if it doennt work replace the coil in the plastic housing. Make sure all the linkage is clean & free on either type.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know this is leaning more towards the carb, but don't ignore the ignition system either. Especially with points still.
How long has it been since your last tune-up? You may just have a mis-adjusted set of points or a bad condenser. It's amazing how many wierd symptoms a failing condenser can cause.
A good ignition can hide many a bad carburetor problem too so even if it turns out to be a carb thing, make sure your ignition is in tip top shape.

Paul

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
I will get to checking that stuff soon. Thanks for all the help. The truck does run fine after about a mile of driving, and after stopping a few times. It only happens from cold start. Thanks again. RC

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Stalling in public

Vapor lock??
Mine was stalling when ever I would get my big tank down around half way. Put on a new gas cap and fixed it.

broncoinsane

Loc.
southeren michigan
it sucks when that happens, but we still loook good when it happens.i ran out of gas twice the other day .1st time right in the middle of an intersection,but i flipped the switch to the other tank and was on my way.
on my way to work and riding on fumes,i got gas at lunch time and on my way back my other tank ran out ,i had the switches reversed so i thought i was running on the tank i just filled up....