• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Started my swap , wish me luck

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
It's a bit intimidating breaking it all down. I been gathering parts for a few months now and have them stacked up gathering dust. I started with a donor 97 Mountainer. The motor was running and sounded good with 185,000 on it. The truck was downed due to a transmission issue. Which is why for now I plan on using my C4. I cleaned the motor and took a peek. The cylinders still had cross hatching, the bearings looked good also. So I moved on to speand money else where. I did put a new oil pump in. Our EFI expert Garry worked the harness, by the way is a work of art. He does such a neat job and has been there to answer my questions. Many thanks for what he offers us.
The rest of my list : Aero EFI tank , new Explorer fuel pump, Fuel line kit , throttle and kick down cable from BC Broncos, Sanderson headers and single exhaust from Bronco Hut. eBay Radiator with hoses set up for Explorer dress.

So yesterday I removed tank , fuel lines, exhaust and got motor ready to pull. So as time permits I will wrenching when I can. I don't drive it every day but hate I have it tore down.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread but if i may ask, where did you get your new explorer fuel pump and what are you running for a regulator? Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And did you post anywhere what tire size and gear ratios you're running in the pumpkins Tiko?
If so, I don't remember.

Paul

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
No problem " Real Big Stache" that's what makes this site the best. The pump is just a stock replacement for a 97 Explorer I'm not sure of the brand. I just thought it would be a good idea to put a new one in it since the tank was being installed also. The regulator is stock also. Where I could I tried to retain as much of the Explorer as I could so in the future replacement parts won't be a guessing game for me.

Paul
I'm running 33 MTZ and I'm 99% sure I have 3.50 gears in it . That combo works well for me. The truck is street driven more often then off road. Trips to the beach and trails when I come across them. It's a good combo around town and even a 65 highway speed Gears and maybe the 4R70W will be my next upgrade.
I'm going to do a video tonight.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love to see a fuel economy comparison between the gears. It might not be much with the different combinations, but I bet it can be measured. Even my 31's and 4.56's can almost squeak 20mpg out of it when I'm sedate.
That's rolling along at between 55 and 60 or as steady as the traffic will allow. This combo nets 2400 rpm at 65 with the 4R70

I'm going to try 4.11's with the same tire size, just because I happen to have a 4.11 chunk available to me (from my other rig;)), but 33's and 3.50's usually sucks fuel with a carburetor. But with the Exploder setup, I'd be real curious if that low highway rpm is a benefit or not with a Bronco body.

Paul
Paul

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I'm not sure Paul, I will have to see how it does . My carb motor was really thirsty. I will have to check it and let you know.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I bet most around here with carbs (and V8's) get between 7 and 10 mpg around town, and 10 to 14 on the highway. With a few lucky ones squeaking 15-17 out of theirs. With just the right combo of factors.
Doesn't seem like there's much of a difference from the numbers we've seen so far, but as more and more make the swap, it'd be nice to get more data.

That's why I'm always curious with what members are getting once they've gone to EFI (of any style) with theirs. Whether with the same gear ratio and tire sizes as before, or even if they've swapped gears at the same time. Just something for reference.
But not many are getting their readings, or have not spent enough time on the street yet to know.

Thanks

Paul