• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter Motor Post Help

AZMike75

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Any chance someone could identify which posts are which on my starter? I'm running a mini starter (solenoid type) and am trying to determine which posts are "S" and "B" as shown on the diagram on the right in this wiring diagram (right side). Help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8720.jpg
    IMG_8720.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32
  • wmstartersolswap.jpg
    wmstartersolswap.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 28

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The "B" for battery is the large post on the left side in your picture.
You can tell this, because the big post on the right would immediately spin the motor because it's not isolated by the solenoid.

The "S" for switch/start post is the small one on the bottom, with the combination of nut (for a ring terminal) and the male blade connector (for a push-on connector).

Paul

OP
OP
A

AZMike75

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
You can tell this, because the big post on the right would immediately spin the motor because it's not isolated by the solenoid.

The "S" for switch/start post is the small one on the bottom, with the combination of nut (for a ring terminal) and the male blade connector (for a push-on connector).

Paul

Thanks very much Paul-- as always I appreciate your help!

OP
OP
A

AZMike75

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona

Paul

Paul quick question- that 14-18 gauge start wire- what kind of amps will be pulled through that? I want to make sure I'm using the right wire.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which one? The stock Red w/blue one at the original starter relay on the fender? Or a new one from the relay down to the new solenoid?
The original one can be left alone as it does not see any more current than it ever has.

The new one from the relay to the solenoid would likely benefit from being 14ga, although it's actual current is workable with 18ga, you're better off with a little overkill for the long haul.
And if you route yours around hither-and-yon for a clean look, the longer the wire the larger gauge it should be anyway.

There's probably a specification out there for what a solenoid pulls, but it's probably less than 10a for our type of starter. But amperage may go up as heat increases, and if the starter is ever called upon to do a LOT of cranking, that little bit of overkill would have been an even better idea.
But that's all just a pure guess with zero knowledge backing it up.
I say for long life in a fairly hot environment, some common 14ga with maybe even a heat-resistant sleeve covering it would be your hot ticket.

Paul