• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering gear box play

Daveyd

Hi all,
I'm rebuilding and sealing the power steering gear box. I hated how much play was in the system. Well it's coming apart and I tested how much play it had and it seemed like a ton. I know you can tighten it up with an Allen and wrench but heard you aren't really supposed to too much. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
It's not hard to adjust. Look it up on youtube. Center the box first. Make sure it moves smoothly all the way left and right with no binding.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I wish I knew how the new steering boxes were built with no play or slack. I just bought a 2008 Crown Vic unmarked police interceptor and I'm floored by how tight the steering is even though it has over 100 thousand miles. The same model from the 90s was nowhere near as tight. The steering box looks externally, a lot like the EB Saginaw box. Something inside is very different.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Crown vic changed from recirculating steering box to rack and pinion at some time late in its life. Racks typically are tighter and less play.

The allen adjuster screw is not a play screw, it is a preload screw. Not preloading the gears together. Adjusting the preload screw will only tighten the steering box if the preload is too low. Too much preload and the steering box binds. A binding box that has play in it will be a handful to drive. The binding will lock the steering until a force moves it (bump in the road or steering wheel input). The natural tracking of the front end (caster) pretty much goes away. It will actually drive worse with too much preload. IF the box is worn, send it in for a rebuild. That is the only way a worn box will ever drive good. And you can damage a rebuildable steering box by over preloading it.

You did check that it is the steering box and not the track bar, drag link ends, cracked frame, etc. You did check with the engine running because all power steering boxes will appear to be sloppy if checking when the engine is off. The spool valve will be going to full twist before hitting the internal stops and the mechanical connection takes over the hydraulic drive.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Trying to think of the steering box rebuild shops.
Benchworks has been in AZ a long time.
Red head(?) is another
Blue top(?) I think spun off the above.
West Texas Off-road comes up usually as a place to get a box ported for external ram.

I am sure there are others (and maybe correct the names of the places I am thinking of)

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
These are the guys I like....

http://www.prosteering.com/

Not just a rebuild, they actually test the box. I have had several pumps customized by them. Being able to specify the the pressure and GPM you need and having them bench tested is priceless.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 what Broncobowsher said about the preload allen screw. It is NOT a "take up the slack screw" by NO means. Do it wrong and you could end up locking your box up (while driving) or be sourcing a new box or a new sector shaft and what ever internals get trashed.

See pic step #24, I stood there and watched the guy adjust mine, then I got some hands on experience. It takes an allen T handle and an open type ratchet and socket to do it properly. The nut needs torqued while you hold the allen screw.

When I cracked my p/s pox housing, I managed to get a replacement from him for only 75 bucks and HE swapped all the guts over.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...79683328617/Article+5+-+PowerSteering0408.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...+1+from+Articles+Page+-+PowerSteering0606.pdf

Attachments

• psbx1.jpg
    psbx1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 19
  • psbx2.jpg
    psbx2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • psbx3.jpg
    psbx3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Saginaw steerign gear.jpg
    Saginaw steerign gear.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 20

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Thanks to Broncobowsher I found the 2008 does have rack and pinion and a big aluminum sub-chassis. I only owned the car for about 6 hrs. The other 8 Panther body cars I've owned had a steering box.
My '77 EB got the box rebuilt and now is tighter than new. Any '70s truck is loose compared to new trucks. It's really not a problem if you don't have expectations of duplicating the new car feel. I prefer the classic feel.