• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock bumper with hidden winch

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Just curious, how's the access for the freespooling knob? I ended up angling my mounting plate so the knob would poke out in front of the grill. I know, not a stock bumper, but still a hidden winch 😎

I couldn't clock the clutch housing to the perfect spot for the lever so trying to dream up a solution. I was hoping I could get access between bottom of grill and bumper but apparently not.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
It looks like if you rotate it one position clockwise it would be perfect. You might have to reshape it a bit so it does not hit the bumper or grill.

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
It looks like if you rotate it one position clockwise it would be perfect. You might have to reshape it a bit so it does not hit the bumper or grill.

that's what I was hoping. gonna read up a bit more again tonight.

tried to clock it last night and when I clock it the one position the holes don't line up. They only line up every other position.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
that's what I was hoping. gonna read up a bit more again tonight.

tried to clock it last night and when I clock it the one position the holes don't line up. They only line up every other position.[/QUOTE

I tried the same thing on my m8000 and ran into the same issue. I could only clock it every 90*. IIRC, xcntrk had his straight up and just reached down through the radiator support area to access it. My hands would get shredded if I tried to do that.😬

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine (xcntrk build) is straight up and beside the radiator, drivers side. I'm about 5'10" and 175 pounds and can reach it ok but I can see where it would be tough for someone larger than me. I wonder if some sort of a T-handle could be fab'd to bring access up nearer top of radiator support?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
More progress today........

Lots of fitting and refitting. Bumper is mounted in stock location.

I removed the ends of the winch plate that were protruding outside of the frames rails.

Cool project Rox….

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
A little more progress...........

I didn’t quite get the opening for the fairlead in the perfect spot within the bumper so there is little crown to bumper when tightened down. Good enough for now.

As you can see I’m using the new tangle free rope. :)

Also, still trying to figure out a slick solution for the clutch release lever. I cut the lever part of it off for now and it sits right behind the bumper. May drill an access hole large enough for a screw driver or Allen wrench and modify lever to suit.

Attachments

• DB674444-81B1-4400-9F21-84C6637190DE.jpg
    DB674444-81B1-4400-9F21-84C6637190DE.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 9689FCF6-9DF9-4941-B5D8-6EEF2D7F8D20.jpg
    9689FCF6-9DF9-4941-B5D8-6EEF2D7F8D20.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Ok finally finished this project. Now that I have the winch in it’s final position I’m going to get a new bumper because this one is pretty distorted from all the trial and error.

Also, I may need to cut a little bit of the rope off as the last wrap on the drum slightly rubs the bottom of the grill.

Attachments

• hidden winch.jpg
    hidden winch.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 91

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting picture. After all this time of showing the images in the correct orientation, leave it to the forum to spin the final image 90 degrees!
But it gets even more interesting, because when you click on it, the enlarged photo shows up correctly oriented upright!

Nice looking setup. Wasn't sure if that bumper was toast, or if you had a really wide angle lens.;)
But instead of a new one, any chance you can just straighten this one? After all, if you can get it straight and then bolt it down, the bolts should hold it straight. Correct?

Good luck.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Interesting picture. After all this time of showing the images in the correct orientation, leave it to the forum to spin the final image 90 degrees!
But it gets even more interesting, because when you click on it, the enlarged photo shows up correctly oriented upright!

Damn cell phones haha

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ok finally finished this project. Now that I have the winch in it’s final position I’m going to get a new bumper because this one is pretty distorted from all the trial and error.

Also, I may need to cut a little bit of the rope off as the last wrap on the drum slightly rubs the bottom of the grill.

Looks good Rox.. fixed it for ya

Attachments

• Rox.jpg
    Rox.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru

Nice looking setup. Wasn't sure if that bumper was toast, or if you had a really wide angle lens.;)
But instead of a new one, any chance you can just straighten this one? After all, if you can get it straight and then bolt it down, the bolts should hold it straight. Correct?

Good luck.

Paul

I cut the original opening absolutely perfect the first time but then I couldn’t get the hassle fairlead back in the same spot so now the bumper has a bow in the middle, both vertical and horizontal, so just not worth fooling with. Just gonna start with a fresh one and be very careful with hole placement.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I cut the original opening absolutely perfect the first time but then I couldn’t get the hassle fairlead back in the same spot so now the bumper has a bow in the middle, both vertical and horizontal, so just not worth fooling with. Just gonna start with a fresh one and be very careful with hole placement.

So will the flairlead be more centered vertically on the bumper? With this setup, would a little more body lift be beneficial? Otherwise it looks great, nice job.