• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock cam suggestions

AC932

Contributor
Finally getting around to rebuilding the 302 in my 74. Does anyone have a source for a stock cam? Seems the Sealed Power OE replacement isn't available , and I can't find anything identical.

I'm open to suggestions on other grinds too. This is my daily driver, so I'm mostly concerned with MPG/ drivability. I baby this thing, probably never get above 3000 RPM. Was also hoping to get away with stock valve springs.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, in my opinion a stock cam is a compromise for all cars, be it stick or automatic, big car or small car, young driver or senior, etc.
I would look at RV hydraulic cam and lifter kits. All the cam companies and performance vendors have them. You can upgrade for more low end torque and the engine will have a smooth idle.
Good luck

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Comp Cams Flat Tappet XE256H will do great for you.

Timstrk

CS_88 has the deal. I run the same one. 351 cam in a 302. Good power on the low end and power right off idle. Smooth. Good choice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I recently installed this cam, so far loving it. It does require new valve springs.

Prior to that I ran this cam. Super smooth idle, great drivability, rated from idle to 5500 rpm, can use stock valve springs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2122

That same cam is sold by everyone. Summit house grind K3600 (lift is .001" more which I call BS as the old catalog shows the exact same numbers). Ford Motorsports has had the same grind since the 80s. I've seen it in a half dozen other places. Even pulling the cam cards they are identical in all the specs.

I like it, but it is probably a little aggressive for how the original poster stated his planned use. This cam is real happy spinning up to 5500 and has a slight choppy idle to it. Very drivable. But for someone who states they never get over 3000 RPM, a little more mild/stock cam would fit better. Howards has several cams with powerbands starting under 1000 and ending in the 4000 range. Give them a call and talk with tech support.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like it, but it is probably a little aggressive for how the original poster stated his planned use.

Hey BB, you talking about the Comp Cams XE256H? Yeah, too aggressive for what he wants.
The Edelbrock 2122 is not aggressive at all. Powerband is Idle to 5500rpm

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As much as I think every flat tappet 302 should have been built with that Edelbrock performer cam, I think that is more than ideal for his needs. The bulk of the power is above his max speed. A milder cam would fit the lower powerband better. That's why I was suggesting calling Howard's Cams and ask for advise from a cam maker that makes very mild camshafts.

OP
OP
AC932

AC932

Contributor
Thanks all for the replies!

@Broncobowsher, really like the look of the stuff on Howards website, I'll get in contact with them and see what they suggest.

I did look at the 2122 and Summit equivalents, but figgered that didn't match my shift points of ~10 and 20 MPH. If something from Howards don't work, I'll probably go with that.