• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock EFI Distributor Gear Question?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I need some expert opinions here. I started pulling parts today at the yard, and I started thinking... Does the full size 90'ish 5.0 bronco have a roller cam or flat tappet? I'm wondering because I need a TFI distributor with the cast gear for a flat tappet cammed 302. I pulled everything I need except some sensors that I didn't bring the socket for, but now I'm wondering if I need to wonder over to the big Bronco isle... I know that I can get a reman dizzy from Autozone with either gear, so what came with the flat tappet? Heading back tommorow... Thanks.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
OK lets add to the confusion, I looked up a 90 Bronco and I can get a dizzy with a cast gear and a steel gear?????

Anybody have any idea how to tell, before I get one?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hahahaha, I have the same damn question just about going on right now :-X
I dont know how to tell the difference.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I don't know how to tell the difference, but heres my dilemma. I know I can get a reman for $60 and spend another $55 for the Tcap and rotor and TFI, or I can buy one from the yard for $40 with a used TFI, but if I get one from a crown vic it's a roller and I'll need to buy a $40 cast gear, or if I luck out and get one from a flat tappet engine it will already have a cast gear.....

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
That sucks. My dilemna is that I have a dizzy from an SD mustang that has the TFI, etc but I dont know if it is cast or steel. I dont want to buy more crap.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Do you know what year it's out of? Speed density should be a roller cam engine. 303829 would be a steel gear'd dizzy for a roller cam, 302880 has a cast gear for a flat tappet cam.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
That sucks. My dilemna is that I have a dizzy from an SD mustang that has the TFI, etc but I dont know if it is cast or steel. I dont want to buy more crap.
Yours should be steel. They went to steel cams on the mustang 5.0 before SD.
Needabronco- Since your going back, just pull the intake and check for roller lifters.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Ken, unfortunately the yards around here are not the u-pull it type, I had to talk the guy into letting me pull the dizzy and t-body since his puller was busy pillaging another car. If I could get away with pulling intakes, I'd just take the whole thing.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well today I'm having a little OCD show through and I decided to just go ahead and pick up the reman dizzy to be sure, and who knows how long an 18 year old dizzy would last anyway...