• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stopped dead in the street

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
A little more searching on the same web site, I found this info on testing the unilite ignition module. It sounds like you are not the first one to have problems with the unilite module. According to them, problems can normally be traced back to improper installation ( Probably not the case since it worked fine for you before ) or other problems in the vehicles electrical system. Hope this helps.

Here is the link to the module test.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/unitest.asp#Testing

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
As my Duraspark module went south, it acted out several times before it finally died completely...coming off the interstate in Goodlettsville, TN 200 miles from my destination and 300 miles from home. Fortunately, it was a cheap $ fix (other than the hotel--it was late and everythign was closed). I would buy both module and the coil and replace one at a time to see where that gets you...but once I (you) figured it out, I would put in both the new units and keep the other "good piece(s)" as (a) spare(s) for a little peace of mind. Good luck.

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
CDOG,

Wow, I could have written this 3 months ago... I've got a 76 and just installed a Centech harness. Drove it for awhile, then nothing. Like ya said, everything looked fine? Well, after many Bronco meeting night with
fellow bronco'ans, I figured I'd start replacing parts one by one, knowing it will be the last part that works. New starter solenoid and voltage reg. Nothing. How about the coil? Nothing. Umm, the control module. Found a guy on ebay that said I could have as many as I wanted for $7.50
apiece. Gimme 5 please. Had Auto zone check'em all out, good to go. Perfect! Installed one. Nothing. One last thing, the dizzy. Didnt know much about them, so for 54 bucks I got a re-manufactured one. Needless to say I'm driving again. What was it? The stator(sp). Didnt know what that was till my dad said he had the same problem on a marine 351 engine. Now I'm not saying thats it, just replaying my progression to my
problem like yours.

Good luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unilight modules do die. Often suddenly
I dumped my unilight when the module died. It died when the coil went bad and went back and spiked the module. Made diagnostics a real pain since 2 parts of the ignition system were both dead.

I dumped the unilight on ebay (stating it needed a module ;D to be truthful) stabbed in a duraspark and Jacobs FC1000 feeding a stock E-core coil I picked up at the junkyard off a BroncoII.

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
I think I may have found the problem, I took the dist cap off to do some checks and found there was no carbon pin for the rotor to contact and the cap was burned and pitted. It must have been jumping the gap and finally gave up.

bucko

Loc.
Savage, MN
Damn, just a cap....that's awesome!! I expected something a little more expensive given your explanation. I'm glad to hear that it's something a little cheaper and easier to replace for a change.

At any rate, happy wheeling!

Take care,
Bucko

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
Well, I thought it was just the cap, but that did not fix the problem for me. The only thing left was the internal ignition module. I tested it iaw Mallory instructions and it was in fact bad. I replaced it for $90. The problem appears to be solved for now. Just worried about what caused what. Did the bad cap cause the module to go bad or vice versa? My Centech harness is definitely correct, so I hope it was just a coincidence that this happened two weeks after the harness install. It sure doesn't give me a lot of confidence in a Bronco that I am constantly defending to the wife as a great thing once its finished. Here are some pics of the dist.

Attachments

• baddist.jpg
    baddist.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • gooddist.jpg
    gooddist.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 24

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I was having no spark problems, I replaced the MSD6A thinking that would help (bluffed the wife to upgrade to the off-road box), ran fine for a while then started have the same problem. After much looking and changing of parts, it turned out to be the two wires on my distributor were grounding out to the manifold. It got bad enough that when I checked the spare I could here sparking around the distributor. I taped the wires up real good then separated them with loom, no more problems.

nate
'68

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
no spark

I finished my Centech about a month ago. I had the same problem when it got hot it just lost power. After trying several coils and changing my pickup in the distributor the same problem occurred. I talked to some guys they all seem to think it was the ignition module. I bought new and it didn't change a thing until I put a Motorcraft module in. Problem solved. The aftermarket modules seem to have a different wiring set up inside. I noticed that the Motorcraft's wire colors were arranged in a different fashion. Same 6 colors just different going in.Hope this helps.