• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fitech injectors stopped working

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Anyone have to troubleshoot what seems to be injectors not working on the fitech?

I just put in a new fuel pump that should be about 70 psi and everything seems to be running and pumping well but I don’t get a prime shot from the fitech. The only way I can get it to run is by dumping fuel into the intake. And then once the fuel burns off it dies...so I am getting no fuel at all from the fitech injectors. I updated the software on fitech and spend about three hours with tech-support today but still no work.

I have a fuel pressure gauge coming tomorrow just to confirm the pressure at the throttle body is sufficient.

Any other ideas or has anyone had similar symptoms?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could that be an issue with a lack of tach signal not letting the computer know that the engine is turning over?

Paul

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I’m not even getting a prime shot that should happen when the key is moved to the on position that’s what’s odd. I am getting a tach signal on crank But should be getting the initial blast before cranking it.

Last edited:

c0astie31

There is a setting for that in the set up I remember. when I had mine I remember changing a setting for that and u could hear it when you turned the key.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And are you sure you're getting power? I assume something tells you that power is present when you turn the key.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Some generic stuff here...
The hand held controller is powering up?
Shows a tach signal while cranking/running on the fuel you gave it?
New parts are not always good parts, are you sure you have fuel pressure?
When you hooked up the new pump, did you get the fuel lines reversed? Regulator is on the return line, pump goes to the injectors. I've seen a lot of people struggle with EFI because they put the fuel into the regulator, which won't get you any pressure to the injectors.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I had it running for about 9 months and it’s been parked for about 18 months now during restoration. I replaced fuel tank, and intake manifold along the way and just buttoned things up to get her running again. Power is good, both during run and during crank. Grounded the throttle body to the frame and grounded the battery to frame, body, and engine block.

Bowsher- you got me thinking about the fuel line vs. return line. I thought I marked them properly with tape when I removed them but will double check the schematic tomorrow and see. These symptoms sure would make sense if I have the lines reversed.

Thanks for the suggestions- will report back tomorrow.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Confirmed the fuel line and return line are properly attached. Head scratcher.

c0astie31

i remember something in the settings that you have to choose if you are using a command center or fuel pump, and then that would give you a choice to change for the turn key prime shot. I wonder if your new programming changed the old values and you have to go in and put them back.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even in-tank electric pumps hate sitting for 18mo after having been used. They last a long time sitting on the shelf, but once used that's a LONG time to sit idle.

Did you get the chance yet to check pressure? Not that it really sounds like a pressure issue, but at this point after having sat so long it would be a good thing to verify.

And ignore the fact that it's mother's day. Get right on the Bronco today!;);D

Paul

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
It’s alive...I installed the fuel pressure gauge and have good pressure so I started checking voltages and found 11.5 with key on and voltage drops away during cranking. So I swapped in a new battery and voila! Injectors came back to life - get a prime shot on key on, and regular duty cycle in crank and run. Yay!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the Fitech sure is. Also, Cortez most are running ground from TB directly to battery, not through frame. But yours is running....

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
about grounds and power to these units, I read just the sniper version but think it applies to all, they demand pure straight line power from the battery and a direct ground back to battery. My MSD says the same thing. I'd probably make sure it's wired the way they want it.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
MB, yes, it runs! As of this weekend. The problem was a faulty ECU. Sent it back to FT and told them heat it up to 220 and see what happens. Sure enough, when heat soaked it failed. So it was repaired and I installed it over a 1" fiber spacer. Runs great!

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the recommendation- will ground direct to battery.