• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck Dana 20

Koda

Not the typical Dana stuck problem
1969 just finished a frame off rebuild with a 302 attached to nv3550 with a "new" rebuilt Dana 20 from tom's
The plungers never have moved much since I installed it
Hoped that once I got it on the road I would be able to try all the tricks on the web
Rocking,going in reverse,unhooking linkage
Nothing has worked
Desperate not to have to remove it
T handle
Both plungers are extended and move less than 1/4 inch
Talked with toms and they recommend a pry bar
Couldn't get one in there to do any good
Help!?!?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry you didn't take it to heart when you first noticed that they didn't work when it was still out of the vehicle. They should normally be pretty easy to move by hand, or with a little bit of leverage. Some are tighter than others, and a rebuilt one might be tighter still. But you would still be able to manipulate them into moving.
Easier for a T-shift than a J-shift usually, but still movable.

So is this a T or a J shift setup?
Standard shift or twin-stick?

Maybe an interlock issue? Have you tried tapping on them with a hammer gently? Guessing you can't get one of those up under there either, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Sounds like another question for Viperwolf1 or someone that works on these regularly. Sorry I can't be of more help.

What about lubing them up to see if they're just stuck? Might be able to spray the shafts with something simply like WD-40. This does sometimes help when things are just a bit tight, but it sounds like your issue runs deeper than that.

I hope you don't have to take it out again too. But you might...

Paul

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Mine was a T handle with a twin stick setup that used to get stuck. I loosened the bolt slightly that goes through the sleeve that holds the twin sticks to the housing. That seemed to relieve some pressure that was causing them to bind. It didn't make sense that they had to be loose, but that did it for me.

OP
OP
K

Koda

It's a single stick t shift
I was able to get a small hammer and tap them
No effect
With the shift lever completely unhooked from the t case the plungers still don't budge

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Back out the ball/spring plugs. They may have been shimmed with washers or have springs that are too long. The front one is easy to get to but the rear may be tough if you can't get through the tunnel hole.

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 34