• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapping to c4 automatic Tricks to mate tranny to Engine

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Ok so its a 72 Im helping a friend do a three speed to AOD c4 swap. Now we are having a disagreement on whether to mount the torque converter to tranny then try and align it on flywheel or should we mount the torque converter to flywheel first and thenmate the tranny? We start working on it again tonight please advise! :)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
first is it a c4 or a AOD? either way converter goes in tranny first. no way to insure it went all the way in if you dont

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Ok Sorry its a c4 with an aod flywheel my mistake. Any tricks to bolting the torque converter then because we are having Trouble to say the least.. We left it on the stand last night and went home in defeat, feelings hurt..

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Are the converter bolts not lining up?

did the case bolt all the way up?

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
not lining up yet it seems like you have to line them up as you adnace the tranny toward the engine easier said than done so far. the tranny and engine are bolted with longer bolts but not quite matted yet maybe a quarter inch off still, trying to get your finger to move the bolts of the torque converter into alignment with the flywheel has been tough but if this is correct we will just continue on.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
pull the plugs turn motor from the front till they go in

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
not lining up yet it seems like you have to line them up as you adnace the tranny toward the engine easier said than done so far. the tranny and engine are bolted with longer bolts but not quite matted yet maybe a quarter inch off still, trying to get your finger to move the bolts of the torque converter into alignment with the flywheel has been tough but if this is correct we will just continue on.

STOP. You are about to break the inner pump gear. Separate the engine and trans then fully install the converter into the trans.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
im glad VW said that , cuz I was about too!

he thinks faster than me

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
STOP and do as viper said!!! The torque converter is NOT fully seated into the trans. It has a multiple step seating into the pump and shafts. hope you haven't already wiped out the front pump.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
wait why are we assuming its not correctly seated? My friend is saying that when he put the torque converter on he pushed it in turned it and said that it seemed to sit properly. Is there more to it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge im just the extra hands in this operation.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The front of the convertor (mating surface, not the tips of the studs) must be 1" in from the block mating surface. If it isn't in that far then the convertor isn't seated all the way yet. Keep wigging and spinning the convertor until it seats all the way into the trans before attempting to install.

Bolting the convertor to the flexplate first is GARANTEED DESTRUCTION!

When you have the engine and transmission completely bolted together there should be just a hair of play in the convertor studs. That is the convertor will not be preloaded at all. Then add the nuts to hold the convertor to the flexplate hole. I always have good luck putting them in through the starter hole. Turn the engine over ¼ turn at a time to access them one at a time.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
you guys are great!!! Thanks I hope we are in the clear and it is in proper positioning... Thanks for the help.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are 3 sets of splines that need to be mated when the converter is installed, stator hub into converter, input shaft into converter, converter hub into pump gear. You should be able to feel those last 2 steps. Failure to get that last step will leave about 1/4" space between the bellhousing and block. This is when people tend to try to use the bellhousing bolts to pull them together and when the gear gets cracked.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
So the flexplate is stamped aod and is not fitting the bolt pattern on the engine or the torque converter.. Which one do I need to order then?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hang on, just because it says AOD does not make it an AOD flexplate. I have a new purchase (1.5 years ago) aftermarket flexplate which has AOD stamped on it yet it fits my 5.0/c4.

What other numbers are on it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 6 bolts at the crank are not spaced evenly(although they may look like it). It will only go on one way.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So the flexplate is stamped aod and is not fitting the bolt pattern on the engine or the torque converter.. Which one do I need to order then?

If it doesn't match the converter you have a small problem. There are 2 common converter bolt patterns used in early Broncos, 11 7/16" and 10 1/2". If your converter is 10 1/2" you need to get another one. That converter and the matching 164 tooth flexplate are no longer made.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Ok we tried many attempts then tried to get the torque converter to go into four mounting holes and it will not mount they are too far spaced for the t converter..

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sounds like you have the small converter and will need the larger one.