• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T-bird caliper brake lines??

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I have everything (I thought) to do the Ford disc brake conversion this weekend. I bought Thunderbird calipers. The F150 brake hoses wont bolt to the t-bird calipers. What the hell do I do?? I got the right banjo bolts for the calipers but they don't appear to have been designed for banjo style fittings.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It sounds like you have tried contacting BC Broncos about this. When I did the T-bird swap six or seven years ago, I got the correct lines and banjo bolts from BC. The t-bird calipers definitely accept banjo bolts as that is what I am running on mine. Give me a sec and I can upload a couple of pictures.

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
It sounds like you have tried contacting BC Broncos about this. When I did the T-bird swap six or seven years ago, I got the correct lines and banjo bolts from BC. The t-bird calipers definitely accept banjo bolts as that is what I am running on mine. Give me a sec and I can upload a couple of pictures.

The pictures would be great. Origanally I believe the T-Bird calipers used screw in style fittings.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Pics of mine installed

l.jpg

l.jpg

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Hey naz, thanks for the backlash. I guess everyone on this site that has a question is a fuck up for not having memorized the entire Classic Bronco Mod Encyclopedia. I have spent plenty of time doing research. Just one wrong part number, and needed some help. Thanks for your help. I hope I never end up in Arizona.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A little sensitive are we? Just one missed part. Not the venders fault but you want to call him out. Probably wanted a email so he could get back to you because he was out or busy at the time.
I didnt have to memorize anything I've done the swap.

Last edited:

JSBX

Contributor
Brakes

When I insalled my T-Bird calipers I had trouble with the fittings leaking where they bolt to the caliper. There was a ridge that sticks up around the bolt hole and the brake line at the banjo fitting was hitting on this ridge and would not let the banjo fitting seal off even with the copper washer installed. I had to grind a little of the ridge off to get it to seal properly.

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
When I installed my T-Bird calipers I had trouble with the fittings leaking where they bolt to the caliper. There was a ridge that sticks up around the bolt hole and the brake line at the banjo fitting was hitting on this ridge and would not let the banjo fitting seal off even with the copper washer installed. I had to grind a little of the ridge off to get it to seal properly.

I was thinking about carfully removing all of extra material around the fitting so that the stock Disc brake hoses would work. I think this would be my best option. I figure if I modify these calipers to fit my application I'll just plan on keeping them and rebuild them myself if they ever need it.

Oh and yea Naz I was in a bit of a pissy mood when I hit that snag last night. Helped to sleep on it.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Hey guys I kinda ran into this snag also. I got the hoses from bc but I didn't know the bolts were a different size than the bronco calipers so now I have no banjo bolts to fit the calipers. I'm sure chuck will help me out with this but it's the weekend and I really don't want to wait for another part to be shipped.

Can anyone give me a part number or another vehicle to cross reference these bolts. I spent a good part of today looking for tbird banjo bolts only to get home and find out they don't use banjo bolts. The local parts stores are not very helpful. Thanks!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Can anyone give me a part number or another vehicle to cross reference these bolts. I spent a good part of today looking for tbird banjo bolts only to get home and find out they don't use banjo bolts. The local parts stores are not very helpful. Thanks!

The local parts stores should stock miscellaneous banjo bolts under the Dorman "Help" section with individually packaged, non-application specific parts. The inlet port on the T-bird calipers should be 7/16-24 IIRC.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Supposedly all these vehicles have the 7/16"x24 banjo bolt your looking for.
1977-1981 Jeep Cherokee
1977-1981 Jeep CJ5
1977-1981 Jeep CJ7
1977-1981 Jeep J10
1977-1981 Jeep J20
1981 Jeep Scrambler
1996-2008 GMC Savana 3500

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thanks guys! I tried the help sections and they all had the same three bolts. None of them were right.

I'll get back with them tomorrow and try the different applications and see if they have them. Do y'all know if they are all the same length?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! I tried the help sections and they all had the same three bolts. None of them were right.

I'll get back with them tomorrow and try the different applications and see if they have them. Do y'all know if they are all the same length?

They're not all the same length, so bring a caliper, hose and two crush washers with you to make sure it'll work. Too long can be shortened...too short and you're just asking for trouble.

If you don't have any luck with the OE applications previously noted, below are a few aftermarket options in addition to most of the Bronco specific vendors.

Earl's #977522ERL

Russell #640670

Goodridge #775-44BK

Fragola #FRA6501BB-54

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
thanks a bunch! well i cant take the caliper anywhere since oem is out of the question. no parts stores anywhere carry them. what a joke. just like every other #%$%^$#@ part ive had to get for this truck. maybe ill finish it by the time im seventy! hopefully the part nos will help me find it at summit though. thanks a ton for the help!

70_Steve

Old Guy
I got the hoses and banjo bolts from BC Broncos, but got the calipers through Rock Auto. I got a little confused when I saw the banjo fitting would not fit flat on the caliper, since the threads for the banjo bolt were in a little bit of a "well". Called BC and talked to Jason. He explained that, yes, I needed to grind a relief in the caliper to let the banjo fitting fit flat on the washers. He said that if I had got the calipers from BCB, they would have already been modified.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Okay so I got the bolts from summit and they seem kinda tight. Are they supposed to be? I can only get about one turn with my fingers before it gets too tight to turn. Just wondering if this is normal before I destroy something. Thanks