• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T bird caliper question

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Does anyone know if the same t bird caliper upgrade we use on our Broncos will work on all late 70 s Dana 44s? Like a full size?

Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm running them and yes, it's a noticeable difference...isn't there something like a 50% increase in surface area over a stock piston?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you change the master cylinder too, been thinking of doing that too

mavereq

Bronco Guru
I changed too many things at once to know what made a difference

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
'76 T-Bird is always a good year to remember.

Todd Z.

knack

Contributor
Sounds like the T-bird calipers might be a good upgrade to mine. I'm running a '76 Bronco front axle and disk brakes - with no power brakes. Drum rear.

Pedal effort is pretty high. I haven't bent the steering wheel back yet, but when I'm pulling my 1000 pound trailer I have to stand on the brakes pretty good when stopping on a downhill. As long as there's enough pedal travel...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '77 EB calipers have 2.875" pistons (6.49 sq in) and a 1" bore MC on a the OE vacuum booster. "Upgrading" to the T-bird/LTD/etc caliper with 3.12" pistons (7.66 sq in) increases the caliper piston area by 18%, and therefore reduces the pedal effort by the same amount to achieve any given brake torque. That said, if I were to "upgrade" to a larger bore MC in order to reduce the pedal travel, say a 1.125" bore MC which tends to be a popular option, then I just went the other direction by about 26%, increasing my pedal effort relative to the factory brakes.

Regardless of caliper piston area, lockup is still going to be determined by the amount of traction available at the tires, assuming the system can achieve lockup. Everything else is just going to change how you get there with respect to pedal effort, pedal travel, etc.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I went thru at least a half dozen combinations of disc/drum, disc/disc, different mc with disc/drum and disc/disc, then different mc with the 2nd disc/disc, you get the picture! ;D

Then I upgraded to the T-bird calipers with two different m/c combinations for about 5 yrs+ and pedal wasn't easy but everything was ok as I was waiting to build the stroker/4r70W/KluneV/Atlas combo and then I could move my new hydroboost system over to operate off the clutch swing arm assbly.

Upgraded to a new stock Astro m/c with the T-bird calipers up front and Exploder discs in the rear. Still running my original almost 20 yr old Summit manual bias proportional valve for the rear brakes and they are dialed in better than any Bronco I've had or driven (sure there are better combo's as Gary's is amazing but he's never let me drive his!!!)

gritz

I put them on my 79 with a camper. I am running an f350 master and booster with f250 rear wheel cylinders. It stop way better than my super duty.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I put them on my 79 with a camper. I am running an f350 master and booster with f250 rear wheel cylinders. It stop way better than my super duty.

What year is the master and booster off from? And th rear wheel cylinders? What kind of rear are you running?

I don't do any towing but this truck has 44s on it. It used to not be an issue but as of late the brakes have felt a bit weak.

Thanks!

gritz

What year is the master and booster off from? And th rear wheel cylinders? What kind of rear are you running?

I don't do any towing but this truck has 44s on it. It used to not be an issue but as of late the brakes have felt a bit weak.

Thanks!

It's all 79 stuff. It has a 9" rear. It has a four wheel pop up camper. I haven't towed anything with it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
For you guys doing the swap I'm pretty sure you need to change the outer (soft lines) to the caliper too. I think the fitting size is different on the t-bird caliper.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
the big bore caliper takes a 7/16-24 banjo bolt which is a bit of an odd ball.
you won't find them at the standard auto parts store. they will only have a 7/16-20 and look at you like you have 2 heads if you ask for it.
i know Speedway motors & Summit sell them.

curious what others have used for lines..anyone want to chime in.
i have used off the shelf hoses for a 80's blazer as well as having custom lines made.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
the big bore caliper takes a 7/16-24 banjo bolt which is a bit of an odd ball.
you won't find them at the standard auto parts store. they will only have a 7/16-20 and look at you like you have 2 heads if you ask for it.
i know Speedway motors & Summit sell them.

curious what others have used for lines..anyone want to chime in.
i have used off the shelf hoses for a 80's blazer as well as having custom lines made.

I've never found an off the shelf application that works although I'm imagine Blazer lines might work. I'm an AN fittings guy I've only used banjo fittings with -3 fittings to which I attach my braided lines.

Todd Z.