• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

talk emissions on 76

777mechanic

Loc.
centennial colorado
question about emissions , in colorado there telling a guy that his 76 has to meet 89 standards on emission because of the speed density motor he installed , there telling him he has to have cats o2 and any other emission components . so tell me of your nightmares or ways you had yours tested .

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
In New Mexico, we plugged the emission on the heads with plugs. They don't care as long as it passes. This was also a '76

chevyf16

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
With my '74 in C Springs, he let me idle it up and lean the mixture until it passed. We hit "print" and then put it back where it was!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some states require engine swaps to pass the year of the engine. The guy should have just told them the engine was a 76 with only EFI swapped on. Although if he doesnt have a O2 then I guess he didnt put on EFI. Either way he probably would still require cats as I believe 75 up broncos had cats.

BFD305

Loc.
Greeley, Colorado
This is my bronco and nightmare. I did tell them it was the 76 block. There is no talking to them. They did an inspection and then put my VIN into state computer with the requirements they decided.

You can see the whole discussion at http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=541

Here is the law out of the Colorado Code.
CCR 204-11-407
CCR 204-11-209

(407.0) ENGINE CHANGE:
1421196 (a) FOR THOSE VEHICLES IN WHICH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE HAS BEEN REPLACED, THE EMISSION LIMITS AND APPLICABLE EMISSIONS CONTROL EQUIPMENT FOR THE YEAR AND MODEL OF THE VEHICLE BODY AND CHASSIS, AS PER REGISTRATION AND TITLE OR REPLACEMENT ENGINE, WHICHEVER IS NEWEST SHALL APPLY. FOR THOSE DIESEL-POWERED VEHICLES WHICH HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO OPERATE ON FUELS OTHER THAN DIESEL, THE EMISSIONS LIMITS AND APPLICABLE EMISSIONS CONTROL EQUIPMENT FOR THE YEAR, MAKE, AND MODEL OF THE GASOLINE-POWERED ENGINE EQUIVALENT AS ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THE VEHICLE BODY AND CHASSIS PER THE REGISTRATION OR REPLACEMENT ENGINE, WHICHEVER IS NEWEST, SHALL APPLY AS DETERMINED BY THE EMISSIONS TECHNICAL CENTER PERSONNEL OR DESIGNEE AND SPECIFIED ON AN OFFICIAL EMISSIONS PROGRAM VEHICLE EVALUATION FORM DR 2365.

1421197 (b) FOR 1975 AND NEWER VEHICLES IN WHICH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE HAS BEEN REPLACED, IF EITHER THE VEHICLE BODY OR CHASSIS OR ORIGINAL ENGINE, AS PER REGISTRATION AND TITLE OR REPLACEMENT ENGINE AS MANUFACTURED HAD A CATALYTIC CONVERTER SYSTEM, AIR INJECTION REACTION SYSTEM, MICROPROCESSOR BASED AIR AND FUEL CONTROL SYSTEM, AND FUEL FILLER NECK RESTRICTORS, THESE EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEMS MUST BE PRESENT, INTACT, AND OPERATIONAL BEFORE A CERTIFICATE OF EMISSIONS CONTROL MAY BE ISSUED.

(209.0) ENGINE CHANGES:
1420918 (a) FOR THOSE VEHICLES OF MODEL YEARS 1974 AND OLDER IN WHICH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE HAS BEEN REPLACED, THE EMISSIONS LIMITS FOR THE YEAR OF THE VEHICLE BODY OR CHASSIS, AS PER REGISTRATION OR TITLE SHALL APPLY.

1420919 (b) FOR THOSE VEHICLES OF MODEL YEARS 1975 AND NEWER IN WHICH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE HAS BEEN REPLACED, THE VISUAL INSPECTION FOR APPLICABLE EMISSIONS CONTROL EQUIPMENT SHALL BE CONDUCTED AS INDICATED BY THE DR 2365 ISSUED BY A STATE OPERATED TECHNICAL CENTER.

1420920 (c) IF A DR 2365 IS NOT PRESENTED AT THE TIME OF THE INSPECTION, THE MECHANIC OR INSPECTOR MUST ENTER “FAIL” INTO THE ANALYZER FOR ALL EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEMS AND THEN REFER THE VEHICLE TO A STATE OPERATED EMISSIONS TECHNICAL CENTER TO OBTAIN ONE.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I feel your pain :cry:

I went through the same thing here in CA when I registered my 77. The Smog Referee used the code on the computer (A9S) to determine the year and if it was the correct computer (Auto vs Manual) application. Fortunately, I knew my computer was from a 89 Mustang with CA emissions, manual trans. So I told them that it was an 89 Mustang motor...
I had done my research before I went, and I thought I was good to go... All my smog equipment was functional. Now I have to tell you that the rules vary somewhat for each smog referee, eventhough they are not supposed to... He let the fact go that I had reused the 77 cast iron exh manifolds, as an 89 mustang has tubular headers. I had to put in the vacuum resivoir even though it serves no smog purpose; because it was in the vacuum diagram for the Mustang. I had an aftermarket adjustable fuel regulator which I had to change out for a Factory non adjustable. On my replacement Areo Fuel tanks, they needed to see the sticker that states they are compliant to current CA standards. And the emissions controls for them need to be hooked up and functioning. (Charcoal canister and purge valve.) I had to clear all the trouble codes, which most of them were because I put a vacuum check valve in backwards. The big kicker was that Mustang motors have 4 cats and mine had to have 4 cats to pass, including the air injection into the second set. In CA if you use new cats they have to be CA approved, which increases their cost. Or I could reuse the original Mustang cats, but Exhaust shops cannot by law re-install them. So you have to do it yourself. Open element K&N cone filter did not pass, I had to modify the Mustang airbox to work.

So I did it all, and I passed the Referee's inspection to get my Referee tag which allows the Smog test station every two years to tell the test computer what emission requirements to test my Bronco at.

I wish you luck, be sure to look for alternatives...;D if you know what I mean...

Last edited:

66fora69er

Contributor
Well that Sucks. Austin TX has emissions but I live just outside the city limits and this county does not. I know its only a matter of time. I have an 89 efi in my 66. wonder what they will expect? had it inspected last march and he didnt even pop the hood. good luck with it and merry christmas. maybe santa will leave you some cats;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well looks like normal emissions rules for a lot of places bottom line you need what is required for the year of the engine. Even a 76 bronco with a stock 76 engine would still need to have its cats and any other emssions equipment in place to pass. Thats the other downside to most EFI swaps it will tell the computer what year it is even if the base engine is not that year. Not sure how they would go about passing aftermarket EFI setups.
If they really wanted to be @sses they would have a federal inspector there to write you up for removing emissions equipment.

turbotim2

No emission rules here in Maine, but have heard so many horror stories about it.

Bronco Paul

This is why I'm staying put in Florida! I remember the days of emission testing here...and it did really suck! ...at the time I was running around in my '79 Bronco but luckily the rebuilt engine passed with flying colors! I feel for you guys that still have to deal with emissions. So...I guess the next time I look for replacing an engine I should be looking for an older block! Well...here's another question...what if you bought a Ford Racing block? Those are current date and have no vehicle application...does that make them emissions exempt?

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
I am going through the same thing as BFD305, and the funny thing is... if I would have bought my bronco 4 months earlier, I wouldn't be going through thiis. Definately a learning experience.

patb69sport

Loc.
Sebastopol, Ca
This is why I'm staying put in Florida! [snip]

You can stay put, but most likely you'll deal with smog issues sooner rather than later.

In many cases the feds are pushing auto smog laws, not the states, and backing their push by withholding highway funds.

My '77 F250 was supposed to fall off the radar here in California in 2008, after its 30th birthday. The legislature changed the rules on me just prior to that, due to fed pressure. Now anything '76 and newer is tested, you must pass - no waivers. Obsolete parts or amount spent fixing it are no longer an excuse. They will buy old vehicles, big deal. With 65k miles on it, they offer me $700 or so every year to crush my truck rather than re-register it. No thanks! In fact, NFW!

Think twice before removing smog equipment, and if you do, squirrel it away on that "Might Need It Someday" shelf in the shop. 'Cause you might.

Pat

BFD305

Loc.
Greeley, Colorado
Just a quick update. We replaced the cat and the emmisions passed no problem. We did have to have an air pump system in place that would pass a visual inspection. We are now required to pass 1985 standards, they based that on the info they got from the computer beings I told them I was unsure on the year of the EFI.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just a quick update. We replaced the cat and the emmisions passed no problem. We did have to have an air pump system in place that would pass a visual inspection. We are now required to pass 1985 standards, they based that on the info they got from the computer beings I told them I was unsure on the year of the EFI.

Congrats ;D Now go out and drive it!

BB010864

Please help me figure out fuel lines..Prefer Pics of locations

Hello everyone..I am restoring an 76 Bronco and I am leaving it bone stock..I need pics on the metal fuel lines and also the metal vent lines for the main tank and also the auxiliary tank. I do not remember how they all hook up.....Please send me your pics of your broncos..
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that your request is so far off the issue there BB0, but if I were you, I'd start a whole new thread with just your question. Normally, going back and forth with different questions in one thread is a good way to learn different things about a specific truck, but your question is going to lead to all sorts of issues and answers (I can just see it now!) and pictures too hopefully. So it might be best to start from scratch.

That's my opinion anyway. In the meantime, don't know for sure, but I thought all EB's used the plastic main fuel line, with steel emissions lines. If yours is an early '76 though, it might still have the low-mounted pancake charcoal canister and the condensing tank behind the driver's seat. If it's a later build, it should have the high-mounted plastic charcoal canister under the hood (passenger side firewall) and no condensing tank.
That difference will change how your evap lines are routed, and whether or not you have an anti-return valve inline on the passenger frame rail.

All good reasons to make this a new thread I'd say. Be good info for the record when people are looking for it in the future.

Sound reasonable?

Paul