• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Tricky EcoBoost Early Bronco Build

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
I got the steering box frame plates cut and the outer welded out, inner tacked. I did all the tacking without a hood and my eyes closed, and now I have arc burn on my forehead. :rolleyes:

I'm getting wishy washy again, really wish I had a welded wedge D44 to build, I'm a sucker for 3 links... I have a older drum brake (easy enough to fix) welded wedge HP44 but it's 2.75" tubes, 1/2" thick though I think.

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m a sucker for 3 links too. They just work better and it’s hard to explain. I know if you’ve experienced it you really have no desire to run radius arms ever again. I’d be up for doing some test welds on the cast wedge axle, I bet it welds fine with a little pre heat.

Look on the bright side, least the arc flash burn is not on your eyelids. that’s the worst lol.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Look on the bright side, least the arc flash burn is not on your eyelids. that’s the worst lol.
No but I did catch spatter on one, love that. That's why the inner plate was only tacked, it got me towards the end and I called it a day.

I think I'm going to strip down that other axle tonight and check the tubes. Even at 1/2" wall, it has a lower moment of inertia that 3" 3/8" wall, 2.35 vs 2.72, while a 3" 1/2" wall is 3.19

I might just look for another housing 🤷

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It’s also easy to add a very low profile truss. Amazing what a piece of 2-3/8x3/16 round tub ripped in half and welded on does to that moment of inertia, it far exceed the sum of its parts. Same for adding a piece of angle iron in the same fashion. My favorite trick for a crash/smash resistant rocker guard is a piece of 1-3/4x120 tube with a piece of 1-1/4x3/16 angle welded to it. A piece of 3/4” round bar welded to it as a rub rail works too but not as strong as the angle welded to it.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
It’s also easy to add a very low profile truss. Amazing what a piece of 2-3/8x3/16 round tub ripped in half and welded on does to that moment of inertia, it far exceed the sum of its parts. Same for adding a piece of angle iron in the same fashion. My favorite trick for a crash/smash resistant rocker guard is a piece of 1-3/4x120 tube with a piece of 1-1/4x3/16 angle welded to it. A piece of 3/4” round bar welded to it as a rub rail works too but not as strong as the angle welded to it.
Great point.

Zip lockers are on sale for $830 on Amazon, very temping. Looks like the air pressure range is 85-110, I like that. I was always leery of air lockers because I thought they ran low pressures and needed a special compressor.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I actually like the Zip's over ARB.... and contemplated one for my J truck and just mounting a compressor in the bed. 2x in all of the places that truck has been it would have been helpful and only one of those times would it have saved a tug or winch, so I'm hesitant to spend the dollars. Driving without a front locker keeps my driving skills sharper and less lazy 😂