• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Tricky EcoBoost Early Bronco Build

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Wish I had seen this before now. Never thought about using a router. I’ve done two Dodge rims using an angle grinder and a die grinder. Ain’t pretty, but it clears the hub. Thinking I’ll get a metal cutting bit and work on the other two.

Randy

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Wish I had seen this before now. Never thought about using a router. I’ve done two Dodge rims using an angle grinder and a die grinder. Ain’t pretty, but it clears the hub. Thinking I’ll get a metal cutting bit and work on the other two.

Randy
I saw a few videos on youtube and it didn't look hard. And it wasn't, just very slow going, but I also used a wood bit.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought the lines in the metal were going the wrong way , great thinking

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

How did you set up your guide?

These particular wheels had a lot of meat to remove.

PXL-20240801-022148342.jpg

PXL-20240801-022133907.jpg

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad I have a machinist that will do this for $25 :) Mark the one armed machinist, he ripped his arm off on a lathe years ago and was back at work two weeks after doing it!

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Glad I have a machinist that will do this for $25 :) Mark the one armed machinist, he ripped his arm off on a lathe years ago and was back at work two weeks after doing it!
If I had that kind of hook up I'd be all over it. But this only took a couple hours to do 5 so not bad. I'm thinking about going over them again and putting a stepped lip to click center caps into, if I can find center caps the right size that is. I think worst case I can use 3.25" trailer wheel push through caps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a nice set of antiwrap perches and heavy duty top plates on hand but they are 2.5" wide instead of 2.25".
Are you measuring the top plate u-bolt holes inside to inside? Or center to center?
I assume inside to inside.
I've seen a couple instance where people say it's fine but I'd like some reassurance...
I think a lot of people have run it that way over the years. But I’d rather see the inside of the U-bolt pushed up almost against the springs.
The fact that the bolt holes and the spring perches match is great, but I’d rather see them slightly narrower to better match the springs.

Maybe there’s an argument from the hard-core four wheeling crowd of leaving the clamping bits wider, so that the springs are more “free-floating” so to speak, and not touching the U-bolt. But I don’t know if that’s even a thing.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Are you measuring the top plate u-bolt holes inside to inside? Or center to center?
I assume inside to inside.
Inside to inside. I know they're for 2.5" springs because I bought them for another project once upon a time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, sorry I misunderstood. Thought you were wondering why Bronco-specific bolts and plates we 2.5” wide.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Ruffstuff suckered me in with their 18% off sale and I went ahead and ordered the correct 2.25" spring hardware, plus a few other things I needed.

Debating if I want to move the coil buckets forward and out, maybe even up.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Moving the coil buckets up does so much for performance, allows the weight to hang down between them like a hammock. Best way I can explain it is compare it to sitting on a ball, not very stable and your core is getting a work out, it just wants to roll. Now sit on a swing, it’s stable and not falling over. I’ve also compared it to picking up a baby and holding them out at arms length. Pick them up by the hips and they are floppy and look around like a wobbly crazy cat looking for the escape door. Pick them up by the rib cage under their arms, they are now stable and giving you a stare down. 😂

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Moving the coil buckets up does so much for performance, allows the weight to hang down between them like a hammock. Best way I can explain it is compare it to sitting on a ball, not very stable and your core is getting a work out, it just wants to roll. Now sit on a swing, it’s stable and not falling over. I’ve also compared it to picking up a baby and holding them out at arms length. Pick them up by the hips and they are floppy and look around like a wobbly crazy cat looking for the escape door. Pick them up by the rib cage under their arms, they are now stable and giving you a stare down. 😂
I'm thinking 3" so I can run 5.5" springs with only 2.5" lift. I know 2.5+1 is kind of tight for 37s though.