• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thermostat

powers4680

Does anybody not run a thermostat in there 302 351 windsor? Is there any problems with over heating?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
There is problems with overheating but removing the t-stat will not fix it. Look in the search for fixes. Plan on a lot of reading.

gengel

Loc.
Clifton
Lessons from last purchase..
Removing the t'stat never solved a heating problem - once it's open it's open.
1st step is a shroud to force the air to pull through the radiator.
2nd is a clean radiator 1 teaspoon of oil in antifreeze fluid can reduce cooling by something like 50%, Bars leak is good for another 50%.
3rd is buying a radiator with enough rows to discharge the cooling load, good ones aren,t cheap.
The above rant is addressed to the PO.
A cheap fix for #3 if you still have a stock fan is putting an electric push fan in front with a 195° switch and a 185° engine stat- it only comes on as a backup when you need it and there are a number of swap in posts. Good Luck

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

I do have a bad thermostst, I just need to know if there are any problems with not putting one back because I do not run a heater.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
if you don't have one in your engine will not run at the optimal temp, and therefore be less efficient. EFI engines are more particular about the temperature they run at, but you want it in the proper range. It won't cause any real damage, but I would advise fixing it right the first time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pulling a thermostat should only be a road/trail side repair for a failed shut thermostat. Enough to get you home and put the correct parts in. Short term it will be fine but long term it is detremental to the engine.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Even a open t-stat slows down the water which is good. Here is a few things to check. Be sure the water pump pulley is smaller than the crank pulley have a good t-stat, a hi flow water pump, a hi flow fan, good radiator, engine timing is correct, air/fuel mix correct, no vacuum leaks. A couple of years ago the CB brain trust came up with about 20 things to check/fix to get a EB to run cool. I think a cooling search would find it or we can add to what we have now and do it again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just replace it you have to open it up to take the bad one out anyways A new T stat is not that expensive. As others have said running without one doesnt help you'll see increased engine wear and poor perfromance due to the engine not heating up quick enough. Then once the engine/cooling system does get warm you may run into cooling issues just because there is no restriction in the system. T stats are there for a reason and its not to provide warm water to the heater.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do have a bad thermostst, I just need to know if there are any problems with not putting one back because I do not run a heater.

My direct experience with my 408 back when it had overheating problems:

1. Overheated at trail speeds with 180 thermostat.

2. Overheated at trail speeds worse/faster with no thermostat.

3. Barely any tendency to overheat at trail speeds with 197 thermostat.

;) There is your answer. ;D

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
My direct experience with my 408 back when it had overheating problems:

1. Overheated at trail speeds with 180 thermostat.

2. Overheated at trail speeds worse/faster with no thermostat.

3. Barely any tendency to overheat at trail speeds with 197 thermostat.

;) There is your answer. ;D

Interesting, so If I am reading you correctly, running a higher temp tstat kept the engine from overheating...

Which begs the questions what does one consider overheating? 200? 210? 220?
Then I guess the other question becomes what are optimal running temps for our engines?
351w carb'd, slightly built.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Interesting, so If I am reading you correctly, running a higher temp tstat kept the engine from overheating...

Then I guess the other question becomes what are optimal running temps for our engines?
351w carb'd, slightly built.

Radiators are more efficient at shedding heat if there is a bigger difference in the coolant temp and the air temp. You can't control the air temp.

EFI engines like about 195 degrees. That's where emissions are low and the engine is very efficient. Carb'd engines may run fine at 195 but the problem is going to be possible vapor lock and fuel boiling in the carb. EFI gets away with this because of the 40 psi in the fuel system. I would run as hot a thermostat as you can without fuel problems.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Radiators are more efficient at shedding heat if there is a bigger difference in the coolant temp and the air temp. You can't control the air temp.

EFI engines like about 195 degrees. That's where emissions are low and the engine is very efficient. Carb'd engines may run fine at 195 but the problem is going to be possible vapor lock and fuel boiling in the carb. EFI gets away with this because of the 40 psi in the fuel system. I would run as hot a thermostat as you can without fuel problems.

I was going to answer the query..but as usual...:p

and of course,,he is correct. ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Egg Zachary. I like to see less than 210 on my temp guage..230 makes me nervous..and I consider 250 or more to be 'overheating'..but not so much that my panties bunch up. Now 280?..OK..I'll shut er down at 280.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are boiling coolant past the radiaotr pressure cap, you are overheating. Less then that you may simply be running warm or hot.
Personally 210-220 is no big deal.
230 I will accept in limited conditions (hard use) but consider it a warning that I should back off the power demands and allow some coold down.
Going above 230 I take it as a notice to back off before I continue to an overheat condition (I hate loosing coolant, it costs money to refill).