• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about putting in a HO302 motor in my 76 bronco?

Camaro402

Seeing if I can just drop in a HO 302 motor from foxbody in my 76 bronco and just put my edelbrock intake and Holley sniper kit on it lr what else do I need to change out and also running c4 transmission. I also have long tube headers already.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
302 from 1976 is pretty much the same as a 5.0 from 1990. I can’t list the differences, but they are few. You doing it cause you have the long block already or a deal or what’s the reason and why not all the EFI? You happy with the Sniper and already have it?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The biggest issue you'll run into is the 50oz imbalance compared to the 28oz imbalance of the original 302. Are you planning on using the Mustang or Explorer front dress? If yes, just use the Mustang or Explorer harmonic balancer. If using the stock V-Belt Bronco front dress, you'll need a 50oz balancer that will work. Since the HO engine never came in front of a C4, you'll also need to source the correct 50oz flywheel to work with your transmission and starter.

OP
OP
C

Camaro402

Love the sniper setup and just tired of chasing this damn lil oil leak already put in a new rear main seal and again same thing and I also put in a new pan and seal and now the damn lil screws in the dipstick mount are leaking 😂 it’s never ending.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The biggest issue you'll run into is the 50oz imbalance compared to the 28oz imbalance of the original 302. Are you planning on using the Mustang or Explorer front dress? If yes, just use the Mustang or Explorer harmonic balancer. If using the stock V-Belt Bronco front dress, you'll need a 50oz balancer that will work. Since the HO engine never came in front of a C4, you'll also need to source the correct 50oz flywheel to work with your transmission and starter.
Love the sniper setup and just tired of chasing this damn lil oil leak already put in a new rear main seal and again same thing and I also put in a new pan and seal and now the damn lil screws in the dipstick mount are leaking 😂 it’s never ending.
HO is roller motor, you can get flywheel and harmonic balancer from Delconick ! Easiest to just call him he can fix you up . Northeast Classic Ford Parts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, the typical 5.0 HO motor flywheel will NOT work. Many have sourced a mustang flywheel. Matches the engine. Won't work with the Bronco. The mustang is a 157 tooth flywheel. The Bronco bellhousing will only work with the 164 tooth flywheel. You need a truck flywheel for the late balance 302. It is a stock part, nothing special. But it is neither a Bronco part nor is it a 5.0 HO engine part. With that you can use a stock Bronco clutch.