• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking of going back to stock height. Leave the 2 inch body lift.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been gone a few years for work, now mostly back :) I hope.

Thinking of going back to stock height (have 3.5 lift now with shock hoops, raised track bar), and leave the 2BL due to motor and tranny (NV4500).

I know one issue will be engine oil pan, I think. Yeah I have the milodon 2 sump 7 quart beast, Thoughts?

Shock hoops, don't think they care about lift.

I am pretty sure reconfiguring front axle with stock drag/track bars, is a no brainer other than alignment.

I have a rear axle traction bar that can be reconfigured lower. My fuel tank though is the big stainless one from WH. Issue?

Yeah I'll need shocks, but using some throw away ranchos right now so new ones needed anyway..

I am pretty sure with the cut fenders 35's will still fit fine (2"bbl).

Why? I built this so long ago it was supposed to be a rock crawler, NV4500's were the newest hottest thing, 4 speed automatics a pipe dream, then somebody decide it was a collectors item and IMO, it's rust free original metal, so denting it at Moab is right out. But using it around Payson as a go to driver, possible. Not really happy with handling jacked up, 99% is onroad highway speed. Dropping suspension to stock brings alignments back to stock.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I think you have all the ability to do what you need to make everything work but the only real issue I see is even if it's a street rig I think you'll have issues running 35"s. What is "2"bbl"? Body lift?

You'll definitely have to cut the frt lips of the frt fenders but I'll bet you have to do more?

Gas tank will need to be trimmed a bit. On road performance will come back w/o suspension lift but some body lift will allow clearance for your desired BIG tires w/o suspension lift but helpful for almost everything else you want to reconfigure.

Before I forget, good to have ya back! :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure why the tank would have to be trimmed. Ground clearance? Not a problem on the street. The body lift already has it higher by those two inches anyway.
Sorry if I’m missing something, but I think it’s ok at least initially.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Typo on the 2bbl? Must be 2" body lift he's keeping I"m assuming?

If no body lift then I'd suggest trimming 2" off because it will look ugly as heck hanging down that low. 2" BL and it won't be as noticeable.

OK- Re-read the OP again and saw that he stated in the first sentence the 2" BL and I only saw the 2bbl later. :) Agreed Paul

Last edited:

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
You should check if your driveshafts will work at the stock height. Were they lengthened for the 3" lift?

Once at stock height, make sure vent hoses, brake lines, cables, etc...that connect to the axles aren't hanging in such a way they'll get caught on something.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Absent budget, that seems like a situation where you just take the pain and remove everything that was added and start all over. My first Bronco had had 35s, a cobbled-together 3.5" + SL, can't recall the BL, Ranchos that had outlived their useful life, unknown leaf springs with blocks, and stock-ish steering components. I messed around swapping things in / out way too long before I started over with a clean slate to get what I wanted.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all, nvrstruk/dirtdonk.

Took a job out of state for a year, never again....

Yeah, 2BL, 2 inch body lift. Could be 2 barrel.:)

Pretty sure with 2"BL stock springs with a well cut fender (all mine are) should clear 35's. As I remember from our early days here a decade ago, you couldn't get a 1 inch spring lift which might be a player.

I had a raised track bar welded to stock track bar position, cutting off bolt but mount and back of OEM bolt still there, suppose I can start grinding...

Still need to measure the oil pan.

Good thought on driveshaft, because I went NV4500, I actually used stock length but reversed, front is on back and back is on front.

As far as 4x4x2 box. I think, some squirrelly ness is imparted due to less steering wheel angle needed to get turning angle movement. I'm not rock crawling this thing, so that might be a casualty as well, go back to stock box.

Guess i need to recontribute as well:)

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, sticker shock, I know I'm old, when did a pair of 1.5 inch rear duff spring set start costing $1,100 not counting shipping of hundreds?

nvrstuk

Contributor
When everybody started paying $80,000 for a stock EB in nice shape!!! It totally SUCKS!

Insurance, parts, anything related to an EB is priced thru the roof. Thefts are extremely common now because they're worth so much. :(

If you are not selling there's no advantage to having prices for them to be so high.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
OK, sticker shock, I know I'm old, when did a pair of 1.5 inch rear duff spring set start costing $1,100 not counting shipping of hundreds?
WH has a 1.5" Spring set as well as a full kit. I thought TO did as well but didn't see it on the site.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
That's crazy for a set of springs. Take leaves out of your lift springs until you reach the desired height. I got a brand new set of 5.5" springs with a pile of parts I bought. I removed every other leaf, starting at the bottom , until I was where I wanted to be, which ended up at about 3 inches of lift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s a good idea. And it’ll probably ride better that way as well. Just have to make sure your shocks are top-notch.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Got a link? I was looking at some of their rear springs awhile back and they weren't anywhere near that much. I couldn't even find the 1.5" rear springs as a stand-alone item on their site.

EDIT - did find their 1.5" springs on the site - they must've added them in the past few days. I do like their features though. I just bought a custom pair of Deavers myself and I think they were less (with shipping) than Duff's springs.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hello,
I am going through the same thing. Mine was a rust free rig-my friend owned it since 94. It ended up with a 3 inch lift on it and 35s. I have since de-lifted it and an working on sorting the mechanicals after a long break in paint jail.

I think you bought that Milodon oil pan from me? Funny if it ends up the same fate of being removed twice for going back to stock.

I have the front duff hoops leftover from the lift. I found some WH shocks which fit the stock height. I removed the big diff radius arm to frame brackets and replaced with stock wh Hd units. I had to re-do some brake lines-old ones were a mess.

i am cut front and rear (I like the look) using painted to match glass flares. Only running 31s.

Im not into the LUBR look. I am going for the its 1989 and lets make this a cool truck to wheel look. I even have steel wagon wheels powder coated wimbledon white.

I guess I just hijacked- sorry about that! I really wanted to just validate that it is ok to go back to stock-ish. I think it is cool and the values support it.

Should be able to make it through moab on 31s too. The big meats are really for looks and mudding.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I think you're build is great but that last sentence got me..

Quote from bcmbcm... "Should be able to make it through moab on 31s too. The big meats are really for looks and mudding." unquote-

Wrong- big meats aren't just for looks and mudding. Funny how so many think this- you too from your post.

Guess you've never run 40"s like myself and so many others here do and use them for everything BUT LOOKS AND MUDDING! lol

Ever wheeled in headlight deep snow? REAL snow- not just a snow drift that you've pulled up to for a pic? Ever wheeled in sand so soft that it just mushes out from under your tires? Ever wheeled trails rated 8 or 9 in places like Moab or Sand Hollow with rocks or ledges you crawl over that are 4ft high? I do know that you can get to the trail head with 31" tires but you aren't going much farther in places like these. 4 1/2" of additional clearance at the diff makes a huge difference. Pretty much go or no go. The length of the tire contact patch is the key with taller tires. Less trying to cut a swath with a 15" wide tire yet still having great flotation and contact because the tire is so tall. The key here is also less resistance to rotation (fwd or rearward) when your tall tire is narrower.

Let me know how everything listed works on 31's. I've had 31"s (back in the '80's) and I can tell ya they won't take you close to where so many of us can go now. Many of us don't have mall crawlers.

The pics are just a few of me on 40"s and are posted ONLY to let you see the terrain. One of the snow shots we left my buddies Bronco at the bottom as he was running 32"s and could not get any farther- fact.

Just kinda ridiculous when people who don't use their Bronco for these types of wheeling examples say that those that do use them for this type of wheeling don't need taller tires.

This is NOT some look at me photo bomb-at all. Please understand that.
There are at least a hundred guys on this site that can post pics just like these below and in much knarlier places.

Have fun- go wheeling!

:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_081121_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_081121_Facebook.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230210_113609_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_113609_Facebook.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20221124-082811_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124-082811_Gallery.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220808-095352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808-095352_Gallery.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220603-122440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603-122440_Gallery.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Toms has stock height rear springs for $300. You could run a 1” block in the rear and be close to the 1.5” you’re looking at.

https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-leaf-springs
bingo, is there a 1 inch lift block for front coils? nvrmnd, summit has 1.25 spacers, so thats close, then next up is 2 inch, with winch, protofab bumper, thinking 2 might be better to level ride out a little, although I do like a little rake.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, double up on one of the longer springs and add a 1" spacer and you might be spot on for 1.5". I built a a lot of spring packs by doubling up or adding a spring leaf or two. "Custom". :)

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello,
I am going through the same thing. Mine was a rust free rig-my friend owned it since 94. It ended up with a 3 inch lift on it and 35s. I have since de-lifted it and an working on sorting the mechanicals after a long break in paint jail.

I think you bought that Milodon oil pan from me? Funny if it ends up the same fate of being removed twice for going back to stock.

I have the front duff hoops leftover from the lift. I found some WH shocks which fit the stock height. I removed the big diff radius arm to frame brackets and replaced with stock wh Hd units. I had to re-do some brake lines-old ones were a mess.

i am cut front and rear (I like the look) using painted to match glass flares. Only running 31s.

Im not into the LUBR look. I am going for the its 1989 and lets make this a cool truck to wheel look. I even have steel wagon wheels powder coated wimbledon white.

I guess I just hijacked- sorry about that! I really wanted to just validate that it is ok to go back to stock-ish. I think it is cool and the values support it.

Should be able to make it through moab on 31s too. The big meats are really for looks and mudding.
hi, no, milodon was new to me, one of the many thousands of summit racing purchases. BTW, using a ruler, looks like milodon will fit stock height, and website says offroad 66-76 EB and does not say any lift is needed.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a link? I was looking at some of their rear springs awhile back and they weren't anywhere near that much. I couldn't even find the 1.5" rear springs as a stand-alone item on their site.

EDIT - did find their 1.5" springs on the site - they must've added them in the past few days. I do like their features though. I just bought a custom pair of Deavers myself and I think they were less (with shipping) than Duff's springs.

Todd Z.
how long ago, they dont list an EB spring, just fullsize Bronco.