• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts about 1974 eb for 2250.00

Boss Hog

I found a ok condition 1974 bronco complete but not running. The guy is asking 2250. There seems to be rust on the tailgate and so on. Will post pics when I get home.

Dasmms

Loc.
Goodlettsville, TN
That's what I paid for my 74, but it runs good. It has/had the typical floor pan and rocker panel rust. The seats and master cyclinder needed replacing. It has a 302, c-4, ps, dual exhaust piped out in front of the rear tires, and a nice set of 33x12.50s. I bought mine three months ago and felt like it was a fair price.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
'74 could have some good parts from the factory, D44, PS and C4. Not-running could be simple fix or it could be serious. Rust is always a bad thing but they all have some.

ogr

Loc.
Vail
I paid 2K for a running Bronco that had rust on the inner front fender walls (very common) and some on each floor board in the grooves. He wanted $3500 and we ended up at 2K. In retrospect it ran but like crap, all running gear needed rebuilding, I've replaced engine, brakes and all wiring. The list is endless as all weatherstripping was gone or rotted. I feel for my area that with minimal rust the 2K was a fair price. I haven't had to spend anything enormous to fix the body it's just been all the mechanical stuff. 40 years is a long time for a piece of machinery. Solid body, frame, and minimal rust is worth 2K. Long and short is a Bronco costs money and to return it to factory condition or to upgrade it to todays standard you can easily spend 5 to 15k. Junkyard or kit buys, it doesn't matter. You won't get a capable 4x4 for next to nothing. If you buy and pour 15K into it you need to use and enjoy it. You'll spend at least that much on a 90's 4x4 that still may need some work. Upside is you learn your vehicle and you know it's right. No one ever gets out of a Bronco all the time and effort put in it at time of sale. You are fixing it up for you....so spend some cash and enjoy it. I quit adding my receipts up after the first 7 months....just got me upset. Look at a new 4x4 price and then look at what you can do for thousands less with your 100% controlled input.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I think patience is key in this voyage of finding my first bronco. Thanks for all the pms also.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Stay away, I paid $1800 for my 69 and drove it home with a clear title. Granted your 74 would have the D44 and BB rear end but the 69 didn't have any rust.....keep looking would be my advice.;)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
No Tilte No purchase!!!!!!! With no title and it not running dont pay more than $500 to $700 for it. Getting titles can be a real problem and create more trouble than its worth. Keep looking there are deals out there. I have never paid more than $3000 for any of my Broncos and they have all ran and driven when I got them!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
No Tilte No purchase!!!!!!! With no title and it not running dont pay more than $500 to $700 for it.

No doubt, could be a hassle getting re-titled depending on where you are located..

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

Is this a dana 44 front end. This is from another bronco I found thats in real nice condition. I really wanted an maunaul tranny but I guess auto will work. bronco rust 009.jpg

bronco rust 010.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Is this a dana 44 front end. This is from another bronco I found thats in real nice condition. I really wanted an maunaul tranny but I guess auto will work. View attachment 170088

View attachment 170089

You really need to show the front diff cover to certain. The 44 is sort of egg-shapped side to side while the 30 is symetrical side to side. From the rear view it looks like a 30 to me. But if it came stock with an automatic tranny it should be a 44.

What year is the new Bronco you are looking at? Transition year for going from 30 to 44 is 1971 and C-4s were first available in 1973. Hope this helps.

The pic of the rear is definitely a 9-inch, as it should be!

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

bronco rust 003.jpg

bronco rust 004.jpg

bronco rust 006.jpg

Here is another one Ive found that has title and everything. 14 hour drive but I think it would be worth it.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

You really need to show the front diff cover to certain. The 44 is sort of egg-shapped side to side while the 30 is symetrical side to side. From the rear view it looks like a 30 to me. But if it came stock with an automatic tranny it should be a 44.

What year is the new Bronco you are looking at? Transition year for going from 30 to 44 is 1971 and C-4s were first available in 1973. Hope this helps.

The pic of the rear is definitely a 9-inch, as it should be!

For some reason I cant get that pic to load. Its a 1974 uncut bronco. Here is a snip of what is wrong.
"The body has a lot of rust it needs a lot of body work. It has a front wheel cylinder which is sticking. Does need work to the front brakes. It has about 25k on ford rebuilt, it does use some oil. I only drive it short trips of 100 to 200 mile to hunt and fish. I've had it for 8-9 years. It has a clear title. It is mostly original, The prestolite distributor was replaced with an early 80's ford electronic distributor. rebuilt carburetor last year, needed new pumper."
What would be a good offer price?