• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie-rod ends

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I was told to take a large pair of channel locks and grip the end from the end between the tip of the stud and the back of the housing (where the fitting is). Then give it a good squeeze. If the ball drops inside the housing 1/8" or more, replace it.<br><br>I'm sure someone has a more professional method, this was just the way I was told to do a quick check.

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
I have used the Channel Lock method and it can lead you a little astray. The 2 best ways are jacking up the front end and having someone move the tire back and forth in the side to side motion while watching for side to side movement of the joint inside the socket. A little quicker and easier is to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth enough to just barely turn the tire one way, and then back the other way, and so on.. while watching for the same side to side movement of the joint inside the socket.

tonto

Bronco Guru
I took my E.B. to a what everybody told me was a very reputable local family owned chain of Alignment shops in my area, if you ask most tire shops or repair garages that don’t do alignment themselves they usually refer you to Johnson Wheel Alignment.<br> I went there after installing my now former tie rod with adjustments on both ends for an alignment, the center link was un painted and used but straight with new t.r.e.’s on each end, sitting in the waiting room I get the “hey can you come out here I want to show you something” from the mechanic working on my E.B., he proceeds to do the Channel lock test on one of them showing me how it compress’s with the Channel locks and telling me it needs to be replaced I ask what about the other one so he checks it and says that one is border line but you may as well, I tell him to just leave them both alone and just give me an alignment.<br>Well I’m back in the waiting room and the service Mgr. comes in to tell me if I don’t replace them they won’t warranty my alignment, that’s when I have to break out with a little “those are both brand new T.R.W. t.r.e.’s and I still have the receipt & box’s with the part #’s on them at home, do you want me to bring them by later today to prove it to you?” service Mgr. says “I’ll be right back”, he comes back a few minutes later and tells me he checked them himself and they do seem to be brand new and the mechanic working on my E.B. is new and made a mistake.<br>Beware of the “Channel lock test” on t.r.e.’s, I think it's a bunch of B.S. Later, Francois.<br>