• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing help on later motor

steelworker77

Previous owner had installed a mid-late 80's 302 engine. Not sure of exact year as date code was unreadable. The timing does NOT have a provision for the mechanical fuel pump. It's the original timing cover and balancer. It does have the correct bronco water pump with lower passenger side hose.

While trying to check time I noticed my pointer was missing and figured I needed the 2 o'clock style since I had a passenger side lower hose. Nope because of it being a later year engine it's either 10 or 11 o'clock style. With the water pump being the older correct style I can not read the balancer with the light.

What are my easiest options for checking timing accurately?

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Previous owner had installed a mid-late 80's 302 engine. Not sure of exact year as date code was unreadable. The timing does NOT have a provision for the mechanical fuel pump. It's the original timing cover and balancer. It does have the correct bronco water pump with lower passenger side hose.

While trying to check time I noticed my pointer was missing and figured I needed the 2 o'clock style since I had a passenger side lower hose. Nope because of it being a later year engine it's either 10 or 11 o'clock style. With the water pump being the older correct style I can not read the balancer with the light.

What are my easiest options for checking timing accurately?
If you could get a factory pointer that match the balancer, that would be ideal unless the balancer is one of the style which has a rubber bushing and those can slip.
Determining true TDC on the compression stroke of #1 could be very important.
TThis tool can help you determine when the Piston is on the compression stroke: Mr. Gasket - 8016MRG Tdc Whistle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084RXG8YJ/?tag=classicbroncos-20
And this tool can help you find an accurate TDC: Proform 66792 Top Dead Center Locater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCA5G/?tag=classicbroncos-20
OOnce you know exact TDC you can use something like this to mark your timing: Speedmaster PCE484.1001.01 Harmonic Balancer Timing Tape 5.25" to 8.00" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BWCNSM3/?tag=classicbroncos-20

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
old school way try advancing timing while at idle and get highest vacuum reading. test drive it.

OP
OP
S

steelworker77

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing with finding TDC and just getting some timing tape and going that route.

Will try the vacuum way as well just to see how far off it is from where I am at now. It runs good and cool I just heard some slight detonation while running 87. Threw some 91 in it and it went away. Figured it was worth checking where it was at.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had that issue when I did an 80's 351 with a Bronco water pump. I could either have a lower hose or a timing marker. I put the timing marker on, set to 0°, made a new timing mark 90° off. The balancer has a single mark every 90°. Pulled the original pointer and put the hose on.

So what good is a timing pointer that is 90° off? Move the timing light over one spark plug wire, works perfect.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
pinging might be carbon in cylinders. Once up and running, might try some seafoam through carb to burn some off.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
old school way try advancing timing while at idle and get highest vacuum reading. test drive it.
I used to do that except for I thought the common advice was to back it down just a little bit off of highest vacuum?