• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To Build or To Buy?

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I also say build. I just purchased a 1975 bronco. I could have purchased a complete bronco but I love working on cars. My best times are in the garage, listening to some 50's to 80's music and working on a project. I just sold my 95 jeep yj to purchase the bronco. I had over built my jeep and I have a real good Idea of what I want out of the bronco. Before I had the bronco home I had purchased my 6 point roll cage, 33" baja claw tires, 3 1/2" JBG lift and a used set of replacement bumpers. I dont want to change the interior and am undecided on what I will do with the engine. If you have the time and space build it. Also if you have a mechanical problem while out you will have an idea of how to get it back on the road.

Henry

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I bought my '69 pretty much bone stock. It was a driver and I upgraded what I could, when I could and love how it has turned out. It's still a work in progress and I love every minute of it (most of the time...).

I DO have the chance to do it over again on the '68 I just picked up. This one is going to be purpose built to get my fam of 6 safely through the Rubicon and taking as few bypasses (if any) as possible. I RELISH the opportunity on this build to take it from a frame up status! I've collected parts here and there in preparation to start (FW axles, 435/ 205 combo, GT 5.0 waiting for a 347 kit, etc, etc). My 9 yr old is going to get in on it from rebuilding axles and setting gears to completely going through the 5.0 and he's as excited as I am.

On the other hand, if you have the $$, I'd probably buy one that had as many of the major components on it that I knew I wanted (drivetrain). From there you could customize and personalize as you saw fit. Cuts down on alot of parts scrounging for the big stuff & there are a TON of Broncos on the market now for a very reasonable price. You could take it from there with gearing, brake upgrades, interior, exterior and "build" away...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I think today I lean toward just buying as much as you can afford.Then add your smaller personal touches as you can ,this way your ride will not be down for years while you build. My 1st build was over 2 years and now I've just gotten my 4bt started after 20 mounths, it will still be a few more weeks before I can drive for real. So I say buy one and drive it have fun Build another one on the side.

OP
OP
P

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Thanks for the replies & opinions! Lots of good,valid points made. Especially about the "rattlecan restorations" out there%):mad:, which I've looked at several over the last year or so! I too am a stickler for knowing that things were done right & being able to trust my vehicles to take me wherever I point them! My position is that I'm back in grad. school(70-80 hrs/week:cry:) for the next 18 months & don't have the time or access to a shop(where I can leave it be for weeks at a time). After adding up all of the prices on parts/having it painted right...I'll have equal $$$ in my '73 Explorer than if I'd bought one already restored(at least now w/this economy). I have learned a lot from the '73 & re-done a couple of things twice(because I didn't research first)! My ultimate goal is to have two nice EB's: one a stockish LUBR & one lifted/big tires/cut fenders/built motor...studly:cool:.
My thinking is this...If I can buy one right now that's "done" for less $$$ than I could build it for,enjoy it NOW, then turn around & sell it(if ever I needed to) for close to what I have in it. Not the best time for me to give up this much cash,but I kinda view it as an "investment" that I can drive;D. Decisions...decisions! Pierr.

sufa114

Thanks for the replies & opinions! Lots of good,valid points made. Especially about the "rattlecan restorations" out there%):mad:, which I've looked at several over the last year or so! I too am a stickler for knowing that things were done right & being able to trust my vehicles to take me wherever I point them! My position is that I'm back in grad. school(70-80 hrs/week:cry:) for the next 18 months & don't have the time or access to a shop(where I can leave it be for weeks at a time). After adding up all of the prices on parts/having it painted right...I'll have equal $$$ in my '73 Explorer than if I'd bought one already restored(at least now w/this economy). I have learned a lot from the '73 & re-done a couple of things twice(because I didn't research first)! My ultimate goal is to have two nice EB's: one a stockish LUBR & one lifted/big tires/cut fenders/built motor...studly:cool:.
My thinking is this...If I can buy one right now that's "done" for less $$$ than I could build it for,enjoy it NOW, then turn around & sell it(if ever I needed to) for close to what I have in it. Not the best time for me to give up this much cash,but I kinda view it as an "investment" that I can drive;D. Decisions...decisions! Pierr.
if you have the cash and either dont want to build, have other commitments, or dont have the skills buy it and enjoy it haha

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I always wanted to build my own and was able to help a friend while he did a frame off on his. He spent tens of thousands more than he wanted to and I think this is common, especially when you don't do everything yourself. I was lucky enough to buy a close to done truck with alot of extras. I've still managed to dump a good amount of $$$ into it, and I'm not done, but I'll have this truck forever!
Depending on the level of truck your looking to own, you'll save a bundle buying one close to done or done. And as you also said, if you don't have alot of time....for you it's a no brainer....search alot buy a nice one, and finish it the way you want.

Good luck

Gator809

Loc.
A small town
Well, I have the 69 I'm basically wanting to do a frame off resto/mod with, and I've been working on it for almost ....wait for it.... 20 + years. Life has always had a way of not letting me do the progress I want to do, either time, lack of space, school, work, family, or having to move has always cut my time with it short.

I am about to contact a full on car restorer and builder to just finish the *&^%$#@ thing. I am tired of not being able to drive the truck I grew up with. Yes I wont be able to say "I rebuilt this truck with my own hands." But I will finally be able to drive it, and enjoy it with my family and most importantly my son. Yes the pride of having it done by my own hands would be nice. But the time spent with my son enjoying it will be imeasurably more important than time passing and hoping we can finish it as a father-son project, because thats how my 69 started out with me and my dad.

Now the 71 I just got as a trail beast/basher is fully built, 1 tons, 39 on H1's, 435 doubler ect ect ect. It was mainly a thing of I couldn't buy the parts for the price the truck was, and it's ready to go.

And don't worry, we'll still have plenty of mechanical projects to have with my son for the father-son time.

Hank

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Build if you have time....but my dad also told me you cannot put a price on recreation time...so, in my case I bought a nearly done crawler to wheel the snot out of, saved me maybe 5 years of build time (I have a 2 year old!). I get the best of both worlds though, as anyone knows you are never done building, so not only do I have a very capable wheeler now but I also have started my list of things to do/change on it...so I'll be building soon enough! Not sure if all that makes sense, but I guess I'm saying spend what you can to save time so you can enjoy the ride - fully knowing you will never be done tweaking/building/modifying!

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you want to use it sometime this year buy it.
If you plan to use it in the next 5-8 years build it cause it will take that long.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Building is great if you:
  1. Have the skills and facitilties or competent people to do the work
  2. Money to ensure it is completed in a reasonable time
  3. Specific requirements that are hard to find

Buying a rig already built will almost always get you more bang for the buck in the end!

IMO, it is best to shop for a very soild, well built rig that has some of the more significant mods or items you want already done. If there are some cosmetic or other add-ons, you can always modifiy it as you go to "make it yours". This route will typically have you driving way sooner and will save lots of coin in the end.

Another route it to find an unfinished project that someone is selling due to lack of funds, interest, etc. These can be had for a fraction of what all the parts would cost.

It is not uncommon at all to have $40-$80K+ in a complete build, especially if you are not doing most of the work yourself. However, you can pick and choose and do a different style of build for less, but full out nut and bolt frame off restos and customs are more often in the higher range.

You can often buy a rig for 40-60% of what it would cost to build.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I'd have (2) - One that is basically done and driveable, and the other real "project" Going on 8 years of building and no driving of my truck is making me insane. (with occasional thoughts of f-it I'm done.) I think if I had one to just drive it would take the pressure off of the other project. (I would have loved that Denver edition that sold for $13K a little while ago.)

777mechanic

Loc.
centennial colorado
i would buy one that has a perfect body and paint and go from there such as build motor to suit your needs . but always keep it driveable , it's easy to lose interest in any project with no return . make a list of needs such axles motor trans brakes steering and hydro seats radiator rollcage stereo wheels rims, and price them out you'll find you hit 12-17k really quick . i bought mine and gutted it a year and a half ago and my finally get to drive next month maybe !!

cb21

Loc.
Ogden, Utah
Why not do both, if you could swing it, one to drive now and one to build. Best of both worlds;D

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
I'm too impatient to build from scratch, but too stubborn not to want to do some of it myself. I struck the middle ground and bought one with some good mods done, some mods half done where the price was less than the sum of the parts had I started with a basket case. I can drive it about 50% of the time while I continue to build it -that is motivating. I'm not looking for a frame-off or a hardcore crawler, just a cool fun wheeler, so your mileage may vary too.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have had a few classics and 90% of the time someone gives me a complment it is followed with "Did you build it?"

When I had a car that I did not build or that I did not do most of the work to, it kind of sucked to say no, some other guy made it.

Now I say "YES, 4 years, 12 stiches, one tetanus shots and my kids don't realy need to go go college anyway".

crab

Bronco Guru
I gota say, I restored and "built" my first '70 about 15 years ago which was a very memorable experience. Literally thousands of hours, but worth every minute. Married and 2 kids later, it would take me 40yrs to build that same bronco;D
The most important question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I have the TIME to build a bronco?". I wouldn't worry about the money, because you have no idea what you're about to get into;)
At my age and situation, it's much easier to buy a "built" bronco and add my own touches, which I would highly recommend in this economy. Unlike 5-6 years ago, you can buy a pretty sweet bronco for 50 cents or less on the dollar. I say buy built, then go through it making sure it was built to your expectations and replace what isn't. You'll be TIME and MONEY ahead!!
Good Luck!..........CRAB

OP
OP
P

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
crab:"The most important question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I have the TIME to build a bronco?". I wouldn't worry about the money, because you have no idea what you're about to get into;)
At my age and situation, it's much easier to buy a "built" bronco and add my own touches, which I would highly recommend in this economy. Unlike 5-6 years ago, you can buy a pretty sweet bronco for 50 cents or less on the dollar. I say buy built, then go through it making sure it was built to your expectations and replace what isn't. You'll be TIME and MONEY ahead!! Good Luck!..........CRAB[/QUOTE

Thanks crab & others...this pretty much sums up my thinking right now & makes me feel better;D about admitting that I didn't "build it from scratch". Time is my main limitation,followed by lack of a place.Now I just gotta convince myself to turn lose of the $$$$$:eek:.Just have to sell some other stuff I've got hanging around..Can't have it all! Pierr

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Personally I think the worst thing to do is buy one to build and then get into a 6-8 year project where you never drive it. (Assuming you just have 1 Bronco and not another one you can drive while you build one.) Not sure how people can stay motivated for that long!

I bought a rolling rusted hulk to build into a trail rig and it took me about 2 months to get in "minimally" trail ready. 31's, only a 1 inch BL, no lockers, no top - barely capable of "easy blue" trails. Then I drove it and enjoyed it! I slowly built it (I am still building it!) over the 8 years I've had it. But I've never had it down for more than a month doing upgrades or fixing what broke. Now it's a fairly capable rig and I am really looking forward to trying out my new EFI set up on the trails!