• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing with an EB

mortimersnerd

The wife and I have talked about getting a small, cheap tent trailer. Both of our families had them when we were growing up and they were a great way to get away. How well would a Bronco pull one? More importantly, how would a built EB on 37's and a mild wheelbase stretch pull one? If we pick one up, I'd consider a small lift to make getting it out to dispersed camping sites easier.

On the same note, what's the max reasonable load an EB can tow? I also need to rent a small excavator, but have assumed that the 7500lb combined weight was too high for a Bronco, even for the 5 mile drive from Home Depot to my home.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
The wife and I have talked about getting a small, cheap tent trailer. Both of our families had them when we were growing up and they were a great way to get away. How well would a Bronco pull one? More importantly, how would a built EB on 37's and a mild wheelbase stretch pull one? If we pick one up, I'd consider a small lift to make getting it out to dispersed camping sites easier.

On the same note, what's the max reasonable load an EB can tow? I also need to rent a small excavator, but have assumed that the 7500lb combined weight was too high for a Bronco, even for the 5 mile drive from Home Depot to my home.

I think you'll be fine towing a "pop-up" type trailer but would not recommend a large "travel-trailer"

As long as your suspension and handling are stable without a trailer, you should be OK with the small camping trailer.

My dad's friend had a pop up and towed it with his '73 Bronco in the mid 70s... him, his wife, my mom & dad and me all took a trip together in it one summer (even with a 2 seater bicycle) and no problems.

As long as your tow vehicle is the boss (weight-wise), all should be fine

DJs74

AaronWelch

Loc.
Atascocita, TX.
Yea I have seen the small Airstream type trailers towed with no issues so you should be good to go with a smaller popup type trailer.
Aaron

Toddpole

Contributor
My neighbor built a small teardrop trailer. It's the perfect size and vintage look for an EB. You can find plans on the internet. Not as much stand up room as a pop up though.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't have bought it if it wouldn't tow...

Attachments

• Hunt 2010.jpg
    Hunt 2010.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Bronco cement mixer.jpg
    Bronco cement mixer.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 238

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I am restoring a 1986 Coleman Colorado. I will be pulling it with my bronco. Here are a couple pics. It should be all finished in about a week.

IMG_20150524_132605053_zpsd8xr5elr.jpg~original

Before disassembly.

IMG_20150530_142158991_zpszqjffeu5.jpg~original

Installed a receiver for a bike rack and installed larger tires.

IMG_20150623_194649594_HDR_zpsqu1vuidt.jpg~original

All new floor and vinyl. Walls were stripped to the aluminum sheet and all new wood and foam installed.

IMG_20150623_213509912_zpsi1unglnl.jpg~original

Ditched the aluminum corner brackets and welded up some heavy duty steel brackets. The previous owners had hit something at one time and dented up the aluminum ones which offered almost no protection.

Hank

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Before you buy go rent a U-Haul enclosed trailer to tow around for a day or so. Fill it with a bunch of sandbags or similar stuff to add weight to simulate towing a camping trailer. That'll answer your question before jumping in.

jpw

back in the day, Broncos were a work"horse". big dumb loads were the rule not the exception for some of us(can post pics later if there is interest). my 72 has pulled everything from a willys trailer with 3000 pounds of gravel in it to a 66 passenger bus from behind a building so that the tow truck could get to it. Here in the Islands there's not much freeway driving so you can take your time with a heavy load. I don't have what it takes to hook up to those kinds of loads anymore:)

All of the advice you got so far is great especially testing it out with the rental. if your speeds are kept low and you are cautious it can get the job done some pretty big loads. Stopping/ steering the load is usually a bigger concern then moving it.

J

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Before you buy go rent a U-Haul enclosed trailer to tow around for a day or so. Fill it with a bunch of sandbags or similar stuff to add weight to simulate towing a camping trailer. That'll answer your question before jumping in.

One of the many reasons I love this site. So many times someone has a simple, cheap, smart solution.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have put over 2 thousand miles on my eb pulling my bass boat all over the Damn place in the last 4 months.
It has been such a champ.
Never ever felt odd. I almost forget it's there. Just awesome.
I just wanted to use it to get the boat home but have since pulled the boat everywhere with it.
Pulls better than I ever thought.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
We tow with it a lot so I've got a few recommendations...
- Adjust the load for plenty of tongue weight.
- Have a hitch height that keeps the trailer slightly lower in the front.
- Good trailer brakes.
- Reasonable speed.
In my experience, our car has plenty of power. Short wheelbase and too much tire/suspension is the downside. As long as you adjust for it and keep your speed moderate, you'll do fine.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't have bought it if it wouldn't tow...

You are braver than me pulling that concrete trailer. I considered pulling a yard of concrete using one of those bucket trailers, but they run like 3500 lbs fully loaded. I have good brakes and I cannot imagine an emergency stop with that top heavy load.

I have gotten a yard or so of gravel, and a couple large trees, using my utility trailer. I felt comfortable with it.

Eric

sprint289

Loc.
Darlington, S.C.
Trailer towing

Towed 20ft camper in smoky mountains for 7 summers with a 74 Bronco with auto. Had electric brakes and equalize bars. Never had a problem, but i was a lot younger then.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You are braver than me pulling that concrete trailer. I considered pulling a yard of concrete using one of those bucket trailers, but they run like 3500 lbs fully loaded. I have good brakes and I cannot imagine an emergency stop with that top heavy load.

I have gotten a yard or so of gravel, and a couple large trees, using my utility trailer. I felt comfortable with it.

Eric

Well of coarse you need to apply some common sense. With a load of cement, you're not going to be traveling down the freeway. And the cement mixer was equipped with surge brakes.;)

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
My pop pulled a 21 ft travel trailer all over California when I was a kid. He had a load leveling hitch, trailer brakes were a must in the early ones. They weren't lifted back then though.