• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac-bar riser with TRU?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Question.....

Should you do a riser if you are TRU?
I would like to go TRO one day but I tend to do things in stages.....

So again,
Is it ok to use a Trac bar riser but still be TRU?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
There's no problem running a riser and TRU steering. The only issue is how much room you have to work with - ie... how much lift. If you switch to TRO one day, depending on how the drag link is mounted you may have to adjust where the track bar mounts to the riser to keep it parallel with the drag link.

This being said, a friend of mine runs a performance unlimited heim tie rod, under the knuckles, with the WH riser and his geometry is damn near perfect.

Mock it up and see where you end up.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Stages?
Do it, then do it all over, just to avoid doing it the way you want it the first time?

First you get the drag link and track bar parallel to get good steering, with it TRU.

Then you switch to TRO.
Which changes the height of where the drag link attaches which means it is not parallel anymore, so you get to change everything again.

Just do it the way that you want it the first time.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Stages?
Do it, then do it all over, just to avoid doing it the way you want it the first time?

Nope.

My upper Trac bar drop down bracket has gotten the Trac bar bolt hole a little wallowed out.
So I could fix it or get ready to go to a riser.
If I can use a riser with TRU for awhile, then why not?
I am doing what I want/can as I can afford it.
Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have problems with the riser if I didn't get the TRO thing going right away.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
There's no problem running a riser and TRU steering. The only issue is how much room you have to work with - ie... how much lift. If you switch to TRO one day, depending on how the drag link is mounted you may have to adjust where the track bar mounts to the riser to keep it parallel with the drag link.

This being said, a friend of mine runs a performance unlimited heim tie rod, under the knuckles, with the WH riser and his geometry is damn near perfect.

Mock it up and see where you end up.

Thank you Sir,
Encouraging.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have stock tie rod under on my 69, with a WH riser on the D44 axle, 3.5" front springs, and a drop pitman arm. All of the angles are pretty close to perfect parallel with that setup. If/when I go tie rod over in the future, it appears that just getting rid of the drop pitman arm and going back to the stock one will keep everything parallel.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have stock tie rod under on my 69, with a WH riser on the D44 axle, 3.5" front springs, and a drop pitman arm. All of the angles are pretty close to perfect parallel with that setup. If/when I go tie rod over in the future, it appears that just getting rid of the drop pitman arm and going back to the stock one will keep everything parallel.

Actual experience with my situation. Perfect.
You da'man Matt.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Just noticed that Duffs photo of their Trac Bar Riser shows that they have installed the bump stop on the frame above, instead of modifying it to fit with the Riser on the axle.

I had not noticed this before.
Does anybody have any photos of this mod.
It never occurred to me to mount the bump stop to the frame instead of the axle.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
its a kit we sell. comes with self tappers. this is already included for guys who buy our 3.5 & 5.5" monster lifts so they can use a taller bump stop in the front. we can sell it separately at the link I provided. Silver has that setup on her along with our track bar riser and she's running a 3.5" lift. I could post pics if you'd like.

http://www.dufftuff.com/Axle_Bump_Stop_Rear_66_77_Bronco_3_Lift_p/6310.htm