• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track bar drop bracket

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Depends?
The track bar and the drag link need to be parallel, or bump steer will be terrible.

Rbuddy98

Contributor
I have a 2.5 lift with a adjustable track bar and run the drop down bracket along with a dropped pitman arm even though I was told I didn’t need to. It puts the steering geometry back to stock. I have zero issues with my steering.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
2½ is a maybe. If you have a stock pitman arm, don't run a drop bracket. Use both together or not at all. When you start getting into tie rod over and axle risers, it still applies. You modify steering and track bar together.

As for it you need it. The stiffer the suspension and the less sensitive the driver is, the less you need it. The softer the suspension and more sensitive the driver the more you want to run one.

There are a couple things going on. One is the aesthetic aspect that a lot of people get tied up in. The axle isn't centered side to side. Simple, as the axle is moved away from the frame the track bar swings in an arc. The greater the vertical distance, the steeper the angle, the more lateral shift. An adjustable (length) track bar can be used to center the axle again. But with so many things there is a trade off. With stock steering you are now not centered in the steering, that is the steering box has uneven travel left to right. Most steering boxes are tightest when on center and have more play off center. Your straight driving is with the steering box off center. You can also run out of travel in the steering box in one direction so you can't turn as tight to the right as you can to the left.
With soft springs there is another oddity. Not truely bumps steer as you can hold the wheel straight, and you drive straight. but bump yaw. The body (and frame) rotate going through dips in the road. The axle goes straight, the track bar swings in its arc, the chassis is pushed sideways. To the left as the suspension compresses, to the right as it extends. There is a very small amount of this in stock form, the track bar nearly horizontal. In a horizontal state there is nearly no lateral shift during normal vertical movement. That is what the drop or lift brackets are trying to achieve again, that horizontal state in normal use.

The steering drag link has to match the track bar. The steering box is giving a movement into the linkage in reference to the frame. What you want is the same movement of the tie rod in reference to the axle tube. Ideally there is no movement in the tie rod to axle as an input from the suspension cycles. For a check you can lock the tie rod to the axle (piece of metal and a few clamps), cycle the suspension and watch for steering wheel movement. Should be none.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
Thank you but all that is way over my head. I just need to know what works with my 2.5 in lift and my adjustable track bar. Drop down bracket or not.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Thank you but all that is way over my head. I just need to know what works with my 2.5 in lift and my adjustable track bar. Drop down bracket or not.

well as mentioned above it depends with 2.5" of lift. do you have a drop pitman arm? if not, try putting your adjustable TB on and see if you can center your axle.

if you HAVE a drop pitman arm on, then i'd run a TB drop bracket. what year is your bronco?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that’s what they are saying Darryl.
1. If you don’t have a dropped pitman arm, you don’t use a drop bracket.
2. If you do use a dropped pitman arm then you must use a drop bracket. Even if you have an adjustable bar.
3. The old industry standard is that you don’t need a dropped track bar bracket until you are at 3 inches and above. But at 2 1/2 inches you are so close to that, that you can still benefit from them.
At this point it’s entirely up to you.

My own personal feeling is that they are good to use with a 2.5 inch lift. But thousands of Broncos are running around without them still.
Maybe try it without and see if you like it. If not they can be added later.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
well as mentioned above it depends with 2.5" of lift. do you have a drop pitman arm? if not, try putting your adjustable TB on and see if you can center your axle.

if you HAVE a drop pitman arm on, then i'd run a TB drop bracket. what year is your bronco?
Thanks so much. I do have a drop pitman arm. My Bronco is a 69

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
Yes, that’s what they are saying Darryl.
1. If you don’t have a dropped pitman arm, you don’t use a drop bracket.
2. If you do use a dropped pitman arm then you must use a drop bracket. Even if you have an adjustable bar.
3. The old industry standard is that you don’t need a dropped track bar bracket until you are at 3 inches and above. But at 2 1/2 inches you are so close to that, that you can still benefit from them.
At this point it’s entirely up to you.

My own personal feeling is that they are good to use with a 2.5 inch lift. But thousands of Broncos are running around without them still.
Maybe try it without and see if you like it. If not they can be added later.
Thank you

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have a 1974 with the stock power steering and Pittman arm. i use just a drop down bracket I have no bump steer.. all the steering system is stock 1974 Bronco.

helo-mech

2½ is a maybe. If you have a stock pitman arm, don't run a drop bracket. Use both together or not at all. When you start getting into tie rod over and axle risers, it still applies. You modify steering and track bar together.

As for it you need it. The stiffer the suspension and the less sensitive the driver is, the less you need it. The softer the suspension and more sensitive the driver the more you want to run one.

There are a couple things going on. One is the aesthetic aspect that a lot of people get tied up in. The axle isn't centered side to side. Simple, as the axle is moved away from the frame the track bar swings in an arc. The greater the vertical distance, the steeper the angle, the more lateral shift. An adjustable (length) track bar can be used to center the axle again. But with so many things there is a trade off. With stock steering you are now not centered in the steering, that is the steering box has uneven travel left to right. Most steering boxes are tightest when on center and have more play off center. Your straight driving is with the steering box off center. You can also run out of travel in the steering box in one direction so you can't turn as tight to the right as you can to the left.
With soft springs there is another oddity. Not truely bumps steer as you can hold the wheel straight, and you drive straight. but bump yaw. The body (and frame) rotate going through dips in the road. The axle goes straight, the track bar swings in its arc, the chassis is pushed sideways. To the left as the suspension compresses, to the right as it extends. There is a very small amount of this in stock form, the track bar nearly horizontal. In a horizontal state there is nearly no lateral shift during normal vertical movement. That is what the drop or lift brackets are trying to achieve again, that horizontal state in normal use.

The steering drag link has to match the track bar. The steering box is giving a movement into the linkage in reference to the frame. What you want is the same movement of the tie rod in reference to the axle tube. Ideally there is no movement in the tie rod to axle as an input from the suspension cycles. For a check you can lock the tie rod to the axle (piece of metal and a few clamps), cycle the suspension and watch for steering wheel movement. Should be none.
It will take me another 3 times or more to fully comprehend all of this, but it’s info like this that I try and mark for rainy days.