• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track Bar Riser Bracket install issue?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
77 Bronco D44 axle with BCB Tie Rod Over linkage. The tie rod hits the track bar stud at axle, and limits right turns.

I purchased a track bar riser bracket made from 1/4” plate.

When riser is bolted to bracket on axle there is a 3/16” gap between riser and axle tube.

The vendor alluded to filling the gap when welding, but this is excessive, for my welding skills.

Should I:
1) Leave the gap, and find a Welder with better skills than me?
2) Try to close the gap by heating and beating the riser?
3) Add some 3/16 plate or bar to fill gap?
4) See if a WH bracket (3/8 plate) fits better?
5) Leave stock, and avoid right turns into parking spots.

Attachments

• 2021-04-13_153312.jpg
    2021-04-13_153312.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 173

SavageBurro

77 Bronco D44 axle with BCB Tie Rod Over linkage. The tie rod hits the track bar stud at axle, and limits right turns.

I purchased a track bar riser bracket made from 1/4” plate.

When riser is bolted to bracket on axle there is a 3/16” gap between riser and axle tube.

The vendor alluded to filling the gap when welding, but this is excessive, for my welding skills.

Should I:
1) Leave the gap, and find a Welder with better skills than me?
2) Try to close the gap by heating and beating the riser?
3) Add some 3/16 plate or bar to fill gap?
4) See if a WH bracket (3/8 plate) fits better?
5) Leave stock, and avoid right turns into parking spots.

If you're using the upper hole, can u remove the stud its hitting? Cut it off? Others here w better welding skill than i but I'd have no issues welding that gap. Can u grind the surface of current t bar mount....so it sits a hair further back?

bchesley

The wild horses riser is much thicker than that one and I would be inclined to switch to it. 1/4" seams minimal to me after installing the WH one. I didn't have any fitment issue with the WH one either. Like mentioned, once you weld the riser on the stud gets cut off and the hole welded shut. Your steering should work fine after that.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I would put it in a vise and get a little bit more angle on the 2 pre-bent angles using an oxy-acetylene torch and a big adjustable wrench 1 at a time. You could weld that gap but I would be afraid how much heat I would be putting on the side of that axle tube for fear of warping. Hell, I've welded gaps Evil Knievel would be afraid to jump.;D

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I would put it in a vise and get a little bit more angle on the 2 pre-bent angles using an oxy-acetylene torch and a big adjustable wrench 1 at a time. You could weld that gap but I would be afraid how much heat I would be putting on the side of that axle tube for fear of warping. Hell, I've welded gaps Evil Knievel would be afraid to jump.;D

I second Pony’s suggestion.

Most parts from vendors may need a lil persuasion from time to time. A bigger hole here, grind a lil there. It’s all part of the game. I’d weld it but do a lil bit of weld and let cool off. Those tubes are thick and the 1/4” thick steel is more than enough for your application. Unless you do a lot of rock jumping it will be fine.

Evil Knievel would be skeered of my gaps too! Thor ain’t got nothing on my my BFH!

Spaggyroe

I would also close up that gap before trying to weld it.

I had to massage my W.H. riser bracket to fit better prior to welding too.

Crawdad is right. Most bronco parts need some massaging. It's unfortunate, because we've all been lead to believe that this just the way it goes. This isn't necessarily the case and our bronco vendors need to step it up. Having dealt with many, many, aftermarket Jeep parts, I can tell you that more exacting parts can be made.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you do not have a press or big vice I would take a cutting wheel and slice down on the corner on the second bend to the left, half way through and continue the bend with a BFH then clamp the gusset leg to the housing and weld, then weld up the bend you thinned so you could bend it.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
If you do not have a press or big vice I would take a cutting wheel and slice down on the corner on the second bend to the left, half way through and continue the bend with a BFH then clamp the gusset leg to the housing and weld, then weld up the bend you thinned so you could bend it.

That’s exactly what I would do. I’m Leatherface when it comes to chopping up some metal! I can make a turd smell good with a grinder too!

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
. . .put it in a vise and using an oxy-acetylene torch and a big adjustable wrench . . .
. . .take a cutting wheel and slice . . .
. . .may need a lil persuasion . . .
. . .close up that gap before trying to weld it . . .

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am going to:
cut the bracket (solid line),
heat & bend (broken line) to eliminate gap,
weld the cut, and
install bracket.​
I will remove original bolt, now that I have a path forward.

2021-04-15_101923.jpg

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Well it didn't take much searching to find out I'm not alone with this issue. Guess I have some finagling to do.%) Anyone have completed pictures to share?

Attachments

• PXL_20210727_223350582.jpg
    PXL_20210727_223350582.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210727_223354335.jpg
    PXL_20210727_223354335.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210727_223407327.jpg
    PXL_20210727_223407327.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
So I contacted the vendor and they sent me a second bracket. They checked it on an axle housing in their shop. It fit their housing, but it did not fit on my axle housing any better.
I did the fix I proposed in post #10.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
So I contacted the vendor and they sent me a second bracket. They checked it on an axle housing in their shop. It fit their housing, but it did not fit on my axle housing any better.
I did the fix I proposed in post #10.

Thanks Oldtimer. Just further proof that no two Broncos are the same. Even from the factory.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There doesn’t seem to be any consistency between any particular year, or any particular brand of riser bracket.
At least not that I’ve noticed over the years.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
For what it is worth I used the WH bracket. It offered more adjustment holes and was a little taller. I also cut off my original mount so I could put the mew mount where I wanted it. I did add additional gussets from behind.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
is this a 76/77 issue? Did Duff ever compare?
The bracket I installed was indeed a Duff's part.
The axle in question is from a 76 Bronco.
They were very accommodating in sending a second bracket.
Before sending they did a fit check on an axle they had, but still did not fit on my axle
As stated by others, there are a lot of variables to deal with when making parts for a vehicle that was built 54 years ago.

Last edited:

Hammer6672

put vise grills own it and squeeze it together put small tack down the whole length that you wanna weld why its hot you might could hit it with hammer and close the gap more but you should be able to just weld it up should be easy