• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track Bar Solid Bushings?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Has anyone machined a set of track bar bushings to eliminate the short life of the urethane ones? My stuff is only a few years old / 4k miles and I can't seem to stop some random slop / wobble in the front end on crappy PA roads.

I could machine a set of new bushings in the time it takes to replace them. Include a grease fitting to force some grease into the space with a nylon washer on the ends to retain the grease.

I am sure someone has done this let me know your experience please.

My concern was the stud on the diff housing might break since the bushing is not absorbing the impact.

ame

There has to be some misalignment on the bushings, Delrin is a better option IMO.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Plenty of guys running SRE's, with or without PTFE liners for track bars, so those are going to be virtually rigid. I might lean towards a rebuildable Johnny Joint type option for the larger bearing surface area, as you should see longer life from it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Problem is the holes don't stay aligned as the suspension cycles. There is a twist action on the track bar that won't play well with solid bushings.

What people have done is put a spherical rod end on the track bar. Typically one side so the poly bushing can isolate a little bit and keep the track bar aligned (the bend in the right place to clear the diff).

But solid spacers in place of bushings, never going to work.

JSBX

Contributor
I have been running a track bar with a rod end at the frame end for 10years with no problems and is still tight. Trail and street use.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I run a straight track bar with 3/4” heims on both ends. It’s been on there for 10+ years now. While I’ve never had one fail, the do get a few thousandths of play in them every couple of years.

Mark

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Great feedback that the bar twists as it travels. That makes the heim ends the way to go.

Really happy I asked!

Thanks!

ame

Great feedback that the bar twists as it travels. That makes the heim ends the way to go.

Really happy I asked!

Thanks!

If you have any bend in the bar and heims on both ends it will start to flop and rotate every time you hit a bump as the heims will rotate freely once they break in, a straight bar is ok but IMO a heim on one end , Delrin on the other to keep the bar from rotating is the best combo.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And in case you don't already have one, an adjustable trackbar does help in one other area regarding the bushing life too. That's that the end can be adjusted to compensate for other modifications that have tilted the axle at normal ride height.

But this is for lifted Broncos. Is this for your stock height rig Mark?

I went through poly upper bushings about once every two years myself until I installed the adjustable trackbar. Never had to install a new one after that.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That makes sense. I would eat poly bushings on a regular basis with the 3½" lift. With the axle riser, the stock track bar was the correct length. Now you have me thinking the twist on the bushings is what was killing the bushings. It was a bastard getting the bar on even with the suspension loaded.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last time I had to install a stock trackbar, I had to resort to my dad's old BAPW (big ass pipe wrench) to put some twist on the bar. The big one with the long handle was enough to get just enough twist on the stock bar to line up the holes better than I'd been able to in the past with just a drift-pin through the bolt hole.
Never have that issue with an adjustable one, but at least now I know how to deal a little better with the stock ones.

I started using anti-seize on my trackbar bolts and sleeves a long time ago too. Not sure if it made any difference in how long the bushings and/or sleeves lasted, but I wanted to at least reduce the rust issue.
I figured anti-seize was less prone to washing out than standard lubes (we didn't have that sticky nasty silcone lube back then) and wanted to save the bolt and sleeve from rust deterioration. My original upper bolt was rusted almost a third through it's diameter the first time I replaced bushings (rig was about 8 or 9 years old at the time.

Paul

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I run a straight track bar with 3/4” heims on both ends. It’s been on there for 10+ years now. While I’ve never had one fail, the do get a few thousandths of play in them every couple of years.

Mark

^^^^what he said, and likewise. Straight bar, so no flopping. High quality SRE's are available that last a long time, like years. When I first installed them I was a little concerned about noise transmission. Might be some but my Bronco is so loud I can't tell.