• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny leak

Hiker

Loc.
Tumwater, Wa.
I am having a devil of a time pin pointing this leak (its really crowded under there). I have a 70 with a converted AOD and fabricated shift lever to the column. Best I can tell the leak originates right where the lever goes into the tranny. It doesn't have to be running or moving to drip. This sound right? And if so whats needed to stop the leak? Obviously I'm somewhat of a novice.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There's a seal that the shift shaft goes through. You need to remove the pan and the shaft to change the seal. I think the valve body can stay in place on an AOD.

OP
OP
H

Hiker

Loc.
Tumwater, Wa.
i have a constant drip from the linkage seal too.i changed that seal 3 times amd now its leaking again. gotta be something else goin on

How difficult was it to change? Do you think the fabricated linkage may cause uneven wear on these things....Frustrating I know.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
AOD has arm in a arm. (Shifter and TV lever)
Are you doing both seals or just the arm to the case seal?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I dont know anythign about the AOD so I should probably be quiet but my C4 was leaking in the same area. I ordered a seal kit for it and had planned on taking it to a tranny shop to replace since the valve body had to be dropped.

After speakng with several people I realized not many tranny shops even knew that the kickdown linkage seal was NOT an O ring and that is what everybodt pts in them when they rebuild.

A member here told me it took a "quad ring" instead of an O ring. He mailed me a could and unless you looked very close they look like O rings. I swapped it out in about 5 minutes and bingo my leak was gone.

I almos paid someone to swap out the seal kit for nothing... it didnt even come with that "quad ring" and it didnt even show up on any autoparts stores list of parts for that.

Anyway... the AOD may be different but thats my experience.

Greg