• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case lowgear questions( Tera, Rock Eater, etc)

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am trying to figure out if I would be better off doing a Transfer Case regearing rather than a differential re-gear. Any input is appreciated. I am running the 3.50's/ 33's/ C4 auto combo. Great on highway, bad on trails. I have a front D44 with 4.10s and a 9" with 4.11's to go in this Bronco and have some 35's to go on it ASAP. That is gonna give me 4.11/ 35's/C4 combo. Still pretty good on the street , but still not that great on the trail. I was gonna go 35's and 4.56's which would definitily help on the trails, but would get my RPM's up on the street a little. Anyway..what this all boils down to is...would I be beter off just going with the 4.11's that I have and doing a Tera LOw , Rock Eater, type gerain in the Transfer case. If I do the 456 setup.it is gonna cost a lot too with new gears front and rear, install front and rear, install kit, labor. Looks like it might be better to just go with a Tera Low, Crawlergears, Rock Eater setup so I can have both. Any comments..please let me know. I just want the best combo for the dough. I run 50/ 50 on road and off road with this rig. I drive to ll the trails so this is why I want both.

Let me knwo
Thanks Much,

Blue71

chris

No more Rock Crawler
This is a good question, I have been wondering the same thing myself. I picked up a spare T case and this would make a nice winter project.

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I know with mine i have an extremly high low gear, about 20:1. So I am gradually going to save my money for a new transfer case and a Klune-V. The Klune-V might be the best bet for you for price and the gearing. Plus if your going for the best transfer case out there, best bet (i know people will dissagree) but the Atlas II. Doesnt get much better, with 4:11s, C-4 and that setup it would give you a final drive of about 161:1 if you go with a 4.0:1 atlas II. But then there would be so many gearing options after its all said and done.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did the tera lows and think they are good. Sorry, can't do a back to back comparison. I went from 435/4.10 geared to 4R70W auto/tera/4.88 geared. I put the tera in as a way of getting back the low gears that I lost by pulling the 435.
I consider Tera a nice affordable (relitive to what you could spend) solution that works nice. Low enough to get more gearing, but still high enough that you have a low range usable for things other then crawling. I know some people who did the JP gears and now they can't play in the sand. Hi is too high and lo is too low. Also works with the current drivelines, that saves money.
I consider JP to be too low, too much stress on the rear output shaft. By the time you do the gears and upgraded output shaft, you could have bought a brand new Atlas.

U

Unregistered

I have heard of jeep owners using the EB Dana 20 gears to get a little more reduction. this leads me to think that the low gearsets sold for the jeep D-20's will fit the EB D-20s.
since the jeep gearsets are considerable less $$$.

why are the low gearsets for jeeps and yotas less than half price of the Bronco sets?????

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The tera gears are about the same for both the Jeep and the Bronco.
Are you trying to compare price between a tera Jeep gear set and a JP bronco gear set? That is about the only way I know of that you could be looking at one being twice the price of the other.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
options for your gear question

Some #'s for you to consider on your gear question. If you did change ring gear-this is roughly of course-figure approx 150-190 for front r&p, 85-99 for your install kit, 139-179 for rear r&p, 89-99 for your install kit and 200 labor to have installed (100 per end), using high numbers from above you are at about 767. NONE of your other ideas are even close to that price for gearsets in the tcase or a complete Klunev setup as was also mentioned. The tera low set is expensive-I have not priced one since my buddy bought one in '98 when they first came out. FWIW, no one has mentioned another ring and pinion option-4.30 rear, 4.28or.27 front with a C4 and 35" tires works out to basically the 3.50 ration your bronco came stock with and factory tires. I am running that ratio with 35s and love it. Seems to me like you would come out much cheaper to do a r&p. swap for now and save up for an Atlas II in your future.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tera's can be had for under $700 with some shopping, and you get to keep your highway gears.

Tera has a few good points;

Low is lower but still usable if you want to play in mud/sand
Cost is very good
Keep you existing T-case and drivelines.

Klune, and all the others (except JP) will require driveline work.
Klune makes it too low to play in anything other then rocks.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the refresher course on Tera pricing-I called my buddy who got the low gear set way back when and it turns out the gear set was a Jack Obrian.....they WERE expensive. To go back to the tera set, you are still left with the tradationally weak output shaft of the 20....... comes into play with larger tires, more right foot and especially dana 60 axles..... Again Atlas II all the way with a 1350 32spline deal.....
FWIW

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
Blue71 said:
I am trying to figure out if I would be better off doing a Transfer Case regearing rather than a differential re-gear. Any input is appreciated. I am running the 3.50's/ 33's/ C4 auto combo. Great on highway, bad on trails.

Why is it bad on the trails?

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks for the input fellas. Keep'em coming. I'm still doing some calculating to see where I want to be.

Andrew...By (bad on the trails), the 3.50/33's/c-4 combo I have now is geared pretty high for any type of crawling. I think the crawl ratio is something like 20.49 :1 Also..it won't hold you back when going down hills. I am always on the brakes instead of letting my gears do what they are meant to do. Going up hills or rocks..I have to hit ht egas a lot when I'd rather just crawl right up an obsticle. I would rather be between 30:1 and 50:1 on the trails. Don't wanna hurt my street driving though.

Blue71