• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfert case informations

FORCEN

Loc.
Québec, Canada
Well, I got a 74 EB that have a 302/C4, Ithink the xcase is a dana 20. I'm at the point where I want to know what works and what doesn't works.

When I put the xcase in 4low all wheels are turning,in 4hi all wheels are turning and in 2hi the front wheels are turning. What the problem?

The truck is on jacks as I test it.

Thanks

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Sounds like the transfercase shifter is worn out / you have bent ears on the shift rails. There are no interlock pills on the 1973 and later J-shift cases meaning you can shift the front and rear drives independently of oneanother. While the stock J-shifter doesn't allow this, I suspect years of use and possibly a bent linkage are to blame for this.

I personally loathe the j-shifter. I think I actually threw mine off a cliff after I converted to twin stick. I would personally recommend you go to twin stick shifters and never look back.

Read under the twin-stick install in the tech section if you aren't quite picturing what I am saying as far as the J-shift dana 20. It might be a little easier to see what I am talking about if there is a picture.