• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn Signal/Brake Lights Acting Up

srestum01

It's been a while since I've posted which is a good thing. Everything has been running great up until just recently. But recently my turn signals, brake lights, and radio (only because it's on the same power source) don't work when I start the truck. It started sporadically but it's become a pretty regular occurrence over the past month. The strangest part is that, without fail, I can "push start" the electrical system once I'm on the road. I don't even really have to push start it, I just turn the key off, then back on and let go of the clutch and all the lights start working again. The headlights are not affected by any of the above. Any thoughts or things I can check? All wires to the ignition switch are tight and I haven't done anything to the electrical system in years.

maverickconner

sure sounds like an ignition wire problem the headlights are hot all the time. I'd take the ignition switch out and clean the terminals first. The switches do go out but you can bench test it to check.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Check the headlight switch connections as well. The brake lights are connected through it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, on Broncos the power for the brake light switch on the pedal comes from the headlight switch power. But the turn signals are ignition switch related, after going through the fuse panel and then to their respective flashers, then through the turn signal switch.
At the turn signal switch, the brake lights and turn signals (and flashers too of course) all pass out through the same wires all the way back to the lights themselves.

So even though the brake lights have a separate power source, they share a lot of real estate with things that are ignition switch related. But it's still strange...
What happens when you just turn the key off, then back on even while you're not driving?

Do the hazards work?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and if you've never done this, take all the fuses out of their sockets in the panel, wipe/scrape/brush the contacts, wipe the fuses, then re-install them.
Over the years the glass type fuses will build up a layer of oxidation you can't even see but that reduces voltage through them. Lowers the efficiency of the systems that they're working for.

This may or may not help anything, but it's something us old vehicle owners have to do every few years just because.
And it can't hurt (unless you bust something!) to do it.

Paul

OP
OP
S

srestum01

Thanks Paul. I'll try the fuse clean. For what it's worth, I just started it several times and the first two times the power to the turn signals came on, the third time they didn't. Once they wouldn't come on, turning the key on and off didn't help and I needed to jump it. The hazards still work throughout.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you checked the ignition switch, did you verify that the Black w/green stripe wire on the center stud was tight also? It's held in place by a single nut, and also holds the main strain-relief in place (even though it's usually pretty tight on it's own) and can sometimes come loose.

Paul

OP
OP
S

srestum01

Just to close this out. I replaced the ignition switch a month ago (didn't realize it was a $20 part) and issue is hasn't come back. No idea why it was tied to the push start, but for the amount hassle, an hour and $20 was well worth it. Thanks to everyone for the help.