• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal gremlin -- Ididit direct fit

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. wrapping up a few items here prior to getting inspected. my turn signals are proving elusive. at first i thought it was because i had a mix of LED and incandescent bulbs. installed all LED retrofit and LED relays and grounded them and they all worked. then sort of out of the blue at the end of the build season last year they stopped working. this weekend i went back to all incandescent and original flasher cans. turn signals worked. also verified flasher cans by swapping between emergency and turn signal. both worked. yesterday i went on a short shakedown ride and they dont work again. horn works so i believe that the dedicated ground i ran from the column works.

WH direct fit column. painless harness. converted to ford style 1/4 round signal plug. emergency flashers work. turn cancel cam works

ideas?

thx

Hank

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Hank,

I had a few thoughts but lost them all.... lol

After you switched from LED to incandescent it worked. I wonder if you don't have another ground issue or a loose terminal in the path. I will try to remember my thoughts and post them if I do.

Be safe this weekend at May it Forward.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im thinking the safest place to start is to probe the contacts into and out of the column to check for continuity, ground and voltage to at least rule the column turn signal in or out of the equation before opening it up

sound like a good starting point?

Hank

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Im thinking the safest place to start is to probe the contacts into and out of the column to check for continuity, ground and voltage to at least rule the column turn signal in or out of the equation before opening it up

sound like a good starting point?

Hank
Absolutely, just watch those fingers on the back end. Let us know

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well got myself all prepped. wiring diagram -- check. fluke 87 -- check. beer -- check. get under dash to start checking wiring. notice the powerlead into ididit harness plug was sticking out just a bit. pushed it in. turn signals working. drive up to buddies shop to get inspection sticker.

IM STREET LEGAL PEOPLE!!!!!

hank

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I just made that connector strip, and found the same thing 1week after I repin Ed it...and I know I checked it, no beer involved ;D

jmhend

Bronco Guru
well got myself all prepped. wiring diagram -- check. fluke 87 -- check. beer -- check. get under dash to start checking wiring. notice the powerlead into ididit harness plug was sticking out just a bit. pushed it in. turn signals working. drive up to buddies shop to get inspection sticker.

IM STREET LEGAL PEOPLE!!!!!

hank
Sweet congratulations