• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal switch help

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I installed a new turn signal switch, mine had a broken horn connector. All of my lights and turn signals worked just fine before the change. Now, my right rear turn signal does not work. The brakes work, but only if the headlights are not on. The wiring colors were different on the new switch which I hear is common on a 1972. Anyone have an idea? I tried changing the colors that don't match, but it only made things worse.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I installed a new turn signal switch, mine had a broken horn connector. All of my lights and turn signals worked just fine before the change. Now, my right rear turn signal does not work. The brakes work, but only if the headlights are not on. The wiring colors were different on the new switch which I hear is common on a 1972. Anyone have an idea? I tried changing the colors that don't match, but it only made things worse.

Take some pics of both sides of the connector.

The problem with the brake lights is bad grounds.

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I put a new ground on the tail lights and works perfect, thanks!

Here are the photos of the wiring, the PO must have broken the original clip...ordering a new one to replace.

The left turn signal works and right brake when applied
The right turn signal does not work, nor does the left brake light when signal is turned on.

As far as the wiring goes, in case it's hard to see:

Original Green, new is Green
Original White/Blue, new is White/Blue
Original Green/White, new is Green/White
Original Yellow/Blue, new is Blue/White
Original Yellow, new is Yellow
Original yellow/Black, new is Green/Red
Original Red/Black, new is Orange
Original Blue, new is Blue

Horn works, both front signals work, Left rear signal works, now lights and brakes work.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I put a new ground on the tail lights and works perfect, thanks!

Here are the photos of the wiring, the PO must have broken the original clip...ordering a new one to replace.

The left turn signal works and right brake when applied
The right turn signal does not work, nor does the left brake light when signal is turned on.

As far as the wiring goes, in case it's hard to see:

Original Green, new is Green
Original White/Blue, new is White/Blue
Original Green/White, new is Green/White
Original Yellow/Blue, new is Blue/White
Original Yellow, new is Yellow
Original yellow/Black, new is Green/Red
Original Red/Black, new is Orange
Original Blue, new is Blue

Horn works, both front signals work, Left rear signal works, now lights and brakes work.

Try these combinations.

Original Green--Orange
Original White/Blue--White/Blue
Original Green/White--Green/White
Original Yellow/Blue--Blue/White
Original Yellow--Yellow
Original yellow/Black--Green/Red
Original Red/Black--green
Original Blue--Blue

Attachments

• 8-pin column connector.jpg
    8-pin column connector.jpg