• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Two quick questions about doing rear main seal

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Was reading my Haynes manual last night...<br>1. They said I need to drain collant out of the system and remove radiator???<br>2. Also said I need to remove oil pump?? <br>True/False?<br>What can I get away with?<br> <br>I'm thinking they want me to remove collant cuz they lift up the motor and stuff, not thinking that fools like us would have lifts and whatnot...<br>(I have 3.5" lift)<br>Thanks....

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I don't see why you would need to remove the coolant at all????<br>As far as the oil pump, it will need to be removed in order to get the pan out most likely. You don't have enough room to slide the pan under the pump without hitting the frame crossmember.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
People seem to have problems with the rear seal leaking even after it is replaced because - I think - they forget the seal needs to be seated correctly in the rear groove of the crank. The seal flares out on the inside and needs to be pushed into place. I use a putty knife to press the sides of the seal into the grove. Also, the pan gasket has a small tab that fits into the rubber seal and helps prevent leaking. Good luck

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I've never removed the oil pump to drop the pan , especially with a lift . What year engine do you have ? 289's rear seal was rope & is a major pain to get out . Later 5.0 rear seals are external & you need to pull the engine / flywheel .

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=stevew link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=0#107266 date=1045144460]<br>I've never removed the oil pump to drop the pan , especially with a lift . What year engine do you have ? 289's rear seal was rope & is a major pain to get out . Later 5.0 rear seals are external & you need to pull the engine / flywheel . <br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't know waht year engine I have. I never went hunting for the ##s. <br>It's a 302, so I'm hoping it similar to what's in my Haynes manual.<br>Waverous, I'll try and make sure it's in there real well. Puddy knife - note taken...<br>Did you seal the edges with sealant? and whatnot? manual says to do that too...

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I use RTV Blue sealant on the oil pan gasket and on the seal surface that contacts the pan. Clean the surfaces with carb cleaner first - sticks better if there isn't any residual oil

74bronc

Bronco Guru
This may not be an option for you, but I have never done a rear main with the engine in the EB. I always pull the engine. For me, it's much faster seeing as I have an engine hoist. I can usually have the engine out and sitting on the stand in about 1.5 hours. Then I can flip it over easily and work on the bottom end. I always freshen up other stuff while I'm in there. Replace any gaskets that need to be done, new motor mounts, etc. I would definitely replace the oil pump seeing as they are less than 30 bucks. Get a standard volume as high volume is not needed on the SBF. Just another option. ;D

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
74bronc, <br>I have no engine hoist, nor have I even pulled an engine. (but you love to some day). I have the tranny/t-case out because I'm swapping in a Top Loader.<br>Cool, I'll get a new oil pump while I'm there. Thanks for the advise.<br><br>RTV Blue, <br>Right...<br>Thanks...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Since your in there lying on your back you might as well change the bearings. if the motor has enough miles for the main to leak then go for the gusto. Since you have a stick the main thrust bearing should be changed at least. Also loosening the main caps will help you in working in the new seal.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
Good Lord. Pulling out engines, relacing all the main bearings.... You guys are crazy, you'll wind up replacing more parts and causing more problems then you solve. Just pull the pan of the 302 it will come off, lightly loosen the bearing caps, remove the rear one and voila. Just make sure you get all of the upper seal out and clean up in there. Shouldn't take you more then a couple of hours. Most of the time is prep work to get the pan back on and clean things up.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=77bronko link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=0#107311 date=1045156846]<br>Good Lord. Pulling out engines, relacing all the main bearings.... You guys are crazy, you'll wind up replacing more parts and causing more problems then you solve. Just pull the pan of the 302 it will come off, lightly loosen the bearing caps, remove the rear one and voila. Just make sure you get all of the upper seal out and clean up in there. Shouldn't take you more then a couple of hours. Most of the time is prep work to get the pan back on and clean things up.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Cause more problems? I don't cause problems, I fix them. Pulling the motor out is easier for me than laying on my back, fighting the to get the oil pan past the oil pump and crossmember, fighting to get the top half of the seal out of the block and get the new one in without forking it up, getting a good seal on the oil pan all the while having shit falling in my eyes and oil splatting on my forehead. No thanks. Been there, done that. Much easier for me to pull the motor and do more preventative maintenance while I'm doin the seal. Like was said, if the seal is leaking, there is most likely other stuff that needs attention in there as well.

351YJ

Loc.
Lititz, PA
supermottl, since you already have the tranny out it might make life easier. Is the bellhousing removed from the back of the engine? If you do that, is should give you more room, and a better view of the seal. Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=351YJ link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=0#107336 date=1045163738]<br>supermottl, since you already have the tranny out it might make life easier. Is the bellhousing removed from the back of the engine? If you do that, is should give you more room, and a better view of the seal. Just a thought.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, i had planned on doing that, just haven't gotten there yet..<br>Cool, thanks...

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I recently replaced a leaking pan gasket on my 302 with a one piece rubber gasket. Worked great and no need for RTV. Just somthing to consider, its part # MRG-6683 from summitracing.com

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
It seems like I worked on a 79' capri with a 302 in it, but whatever year it was, it had a rope seal in it. A little trick is to get one of those el-cheapo dent pullers (little slide hammer with a removable screw in the end) and thread the screw into the seal upper half (be careful not to get into the crank journal). After you are in as far as you can go, use the slide hammer and gently tap it and pull it out. You may have to trim it off a time or two till it comes completely out, but generally, once it breaks loose, it comes out pretty easy. You can get a tool that is a cable with a little chinese handcuff on the end that you can pull a new rope half back through. Good Luck.

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
I pulled my oil pan, replaced the seal....leak seemed to stop. Only problem i have now is when i park on a hill, and the front of bronco is higher than the rear. oil starts draining out? Where could that be coming from? what does that mean? freaKING ME OUT.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=0#107276 date=1045147961]<br>This may not be an option for you, but I have never done a rear main with the engine in the EB. I always pull the engine. For me, it's much faster seeing as I have an engine hoist. I can usually have the engine out and sitting on the stand in about 1.5 hours. Then I can flip it over easily and work on the bottom end. I always freshen up other stuff while I'm in there. Replace any gaskets that need to be done, new motor mounts, etc. I would definitely replace the oil pump seeing as they are less than 30 bucks. Get a standard volume as high volume is not needed on the SBF. Just another option. ;D<br>[/quote]<br> Same here! Much easier to do on an engine stand than laying on your back. But of course I also have an engine hoist available when I need it.<br> Once you try it both ways you'll understand why..