• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Under Hood Parts Labeling

Oreganic

Loc.
Bend, OR
I'm not a mechanic but I'm starting to replace parts on a '76 302. I'm looking for a good resource to figure out what exactly I'm looking at under the hood. A few photos with labels would be a great start.

I have the Haynes Manual but I find it's not very helpful in regard to the specifics of a classic Bronco.

Looking for a good resource for photos, part breakdowns, etc. Thanks!

Lennardlector

Contributor
I feel this is a loaded question, chances are unless it’s a barn find it’s not all stock components. It would be beneficial if you uploaded a pic of your engine bay with items you need identified.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oreganic I felt like you do when Mustangs went to EFI and I was lost under the hood of the newer 'Stangs. Was very happy when Super Ford Magazine came out with a great ID guide in '93. I still, to this day, keep it handy for reference when I need it.
lPQUTBU.jpg

a8iEYCG.jpg

NYSnkfU.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome Oreganic! The aftermarket books (Hayne's and Chilton's) are great for basic maintenance (especially when you already know what you're looking at!) but as you found out are not very detailed in the pic department.

There are pictures and discussions here of course, and there are a few that show a stock '76 engine compartment. But it's not the same as having a quick reference guide in front of you.

Not sure if we have anything like that either. We have not been like the rest of what has been a collector car market for a long time, where they have every tiny detail and even what number sequences to look for on an alternator to make sure it's date code correct for your vehicle!
We just modified, added new and better stuff, and went on to the next thing.

Luckily if you're just looking for names for stock things like water temperature sensors, distributors, ignition control modules, or their acronyms for the modern EFI world, that stuff might still be found pertinent in a detailed Mustang book because the engines are basically the same.
However, when there is something unique to the Bronco world, you still have to come here!

Like the others said though, to get you going at least, put some detailed shots in your Garage or Gallery through your user CP so we can look at them and go down the list of what's what and who's who.
If you want to upload images we can see right here in the thread, a better way is to use an online hosting site and link the images to your post here.
The best way (in my opinion at least) is to become a contributor for 12bucks a year and then you can upload images directly to the discussion from your device.

You can also e-mail them to one of us with the yellow "contributor" below their username.
Lots of ways to do it. Some are just better than others. Depends on what you need.

Maybe someone will still come up with a good source of your info. Let us know if we can help directly in the meantime.

Paul

OP
OP
O

Oreganic

Loc.
Bend, OR
I feel this is a loaded question, chances are unless it’s a barn find it’s not all stock components. It would be beneficial if you uploaded a pic of your engine bay with items you need identified.

Barn find indeed! My mother purchased it new in '76, drove it lightly into the '90's, then it more or less sat in our barn until I inherited it this year. 100% stock, uncut, clean interior, dusty under the hood, minor rust, and a coolant leak out of the heater core "area" (still trying to figure that out). It runs, but needs some work. I'm not looking to make it show worthy, I just want to keep it running and I'll gradually replace what is necessary in the next few years. I'll do what I can, as I'm "mechanically inclined" but not a mechanic. I have a feeling I'll be posting many photos of random hoses and asking for information - hope that's ok in this community.

ared77 - that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but for a stock '76 302!!

Thanks DirtDonk & PA Pitt, I'll take some photos and upload them to this thread soon.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! And a great find too! Ok, so not a "find" exactly, since you knew it from new, but hey, it's fun anyway!

So with a stock '76 even if a Federal spec instead of a CA spec engine, you'll still have emissions stuff to wonder about. Lots of additional thermally controlled switches with vacuum hoses plumbed to them, myriad little doohickeys too.

If they're still intact, make sure to get some good focus, high resolution shots of your engine decals on the valve covers and anywhere under the hood. They may be your lifeline in the future.
If there is a tag still under one of the screws of the carburetor top, take a good pic of that too. It's your original carburetor tuning codes that might help when choosing a rebuild kit.

Problems that crop up most often are two:
1. Vacuum leaks (a lot of hoses)
2. Failed fuel pump (don't like sitting, and really hate sitting with modern fuels!)

Both are easy to take care of though.
There is another thread here titled something about a 495 original mile Bronco being found recently by one of our members here. If it's not still on the first page of the CHAT section, it will be on the second. It's very fresh.
It will have some of the items you have under the hood, but your '76 will have several more items than Andy's '73 would. But it's original at least. Probably right down to the break-in oil!

Looking forward to checking yours out more as we go along.

Paul

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Welcome Oreganic.
Sounds like you’ve got a real gem there. One thing we like here are photos, so when you’ve got a chance share some pictures with us!
I’ll tell ya, this site is THE BEST for learning all about these classics. I’ve been on other sites for other hobbies of mine, but none is like classic broncos. The members here have a wealth of knowledge and are more than willing to share it.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any chance you know what brand oil was used in it?
Buddy bought a '76 F100 senior year of high school and that poor motor was in rough shape, similar to yours. Apparently it had nothing but Penzoil in it from day 1. They freshened up the motor and never put Penzoil in it again.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
That is most likely from "drove it lightly into the '90's", not from "sitting unstarted for 20 years".
If oil has a lot of gas in it, the diaphragm in the fuel pump may be leaking fuel into crankcase.

OP
OP
O

Oreganic

Loc.
Bend, OR
Any chance you know what brand oil was used in it?
Buddy bought a '76 F100 senior year of high school and that poor motor was in rough shape, similar to yours. Apparently it had nothing but Penzoil in it from day 1. They freshened up the motor and never put Penzoil in it again.
No idea what oil. Time for Marvels Mystery Oil flush or just keep changing with high quality oil frequently? It's not getting many miles driven due to other issues. Just taking it one step at a time to keep it running.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Oreganic I felt like you do when Mustangs went to EFI and I was lost under the hood of the newer 'Stangs. Was very happy when Super Ford Magazine came out with a great ID guide in '93. I still, to this day, keep it handy for reference when I need it.
lPQUTBU.jpg

a8iEYCG.jpg

NYSnkfU.jpg
I just bought this issue on Ebay for $5.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Not sure if this book would be helpful or not.....haven't really looked thru it for the "parts ID" portion

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_191833077[247].jpg
    PXL_20240430_191833077[247].jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 8

36Fan

When or if, you start cleaning the engine compartment etc. Be gentle with the cleaning chemicals and force. Little things like the original yellow lettering and sticker on the valve cover can add value and keep a certain nostalgia to the Bronco.