• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

***UPDATE** HELP PLEASE ** Passenger side lean a very strange version

57baja

Contributor
To make sure you get it right, pull that front axle out and set it on Jack stands.
After you have installed the radius arms be sure that They are parallel by letting the end of them touch the ground on a level surface. If they do not touch at the same time they are not even. By loosening and tightening the bolts at the C-bushing end of the arm you can manipulate the radius arms position. It may take awhile.
But before all of that,
Clean all the rust off the wedges and arms where the bushings sit, like our friend suggested above.
Then you can use dishwashing soap, white lithium grease, or axle bearing grease, etc on the bushings so they will seat easily.

X 2 on that idea. If the arms are bolted up to the axles with frame on jackstands you will easily see if it is a front end issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To that end, don't undo the C-caps until you get the assembly out of the vehicle so you can see if the radius arms are off even a little as it sits.
Be good to know.

Paul

OP
OP
ProjectBronco70

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
To that end, don't undo the C-caps until you get the assembly out of the vehicle so you can see if the radius arms are off even a little as it sits.
Be good to know.

Paul

Great ideas guys! I will definitely leave the arms bolted up to the axles to see if they are uneven. I will post my findings soon...

OP
OP
ProjectBronco70

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
***UPDATE***

Well, Stout22 and I worked most of the day on trying to get this corrected. We took the whole front end out of the Bronco leaving the radius arms bolted up to the axle. As you might suspect, we found our problem as the passenger side radius arm was resting about 1.5 inches lower than the drivers side radius arm. So, we took it all apart double checking the C bushing orientation etc. Everything was put in correctly the first time. We cleaned the c-caps and the axle wedges off real well and put dish soap all over them. Then we put dish soap on all of the c bushings. We put it all back together and wouldn't you know same results. 1.5 inch difference from passenger to drivers side. So, we took it apart and put it back together for the next two and a half hours yielding the same results. We even swapped radius arms from side to side, swapped c caps from side to side, swapped c bushings from side to side etc. Nothing worked. The results were consistent every time. 1.5 inch difference from passenger to drivers side. We even measured the axle wedges to make sure they were the exact same distance from the ground and they were. So was the axle tube. We lined up the radius arms next to each other as well to make sure they were not deformed in any way. It's very strange because the truck sat completely level with the original suspension on it. So after working on it for 7 hours, we put it all back together. It leans just like it did before we took it all apart.:cry: My new tires will be here this week which makes matters worse. It's not real exciting driving around with a Bronco all leaned over to one side. It was suggested that I bend one of the radius arms to offset that 1.5 inch difference and call it good. At this point I'm willing to do anything. :(:mad::-[

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
***UPDATE***

Well, Stout22 and I worked most of the day on trying to get this corrected. We took the whole front end out of the Bronco leaving the radius arms bolted up to the axle. As you might suspect, we found our problem as the passenger side radius arm was resting about 1.5 inches lower than the drivers side radius arm. So, we took it all apart double checking the C bushing orientation etc. Everything was put in correctly the first time. We cleaned the c-caps and the axle wedges off real well and put dish soap all over them. Then we put dish soap on all of the c bushings. We put it all back together and wouldn't you know same results. 1.5 inch difference from passenger to drivers side. So, we took it apart and put it back together for the next two and a half hours yielding the same results. We even swapped radius arms from side to side, swapped c caps from side to side, swapped c bushings from side to side etc. Nothing worked. The results were consistent every time. 1.5 inch difference from passenger to drivers side. We even measured the axle wedges to make sure they were the exact same distance from the ground and they were. So was the axle tube. We lined up the radius arms next to each other as well to make sure they were not deformed in any way. It's very strange because the truck sat completely level with the original suspension on it. So after working on it for 7 hours, we put it all back together. It leans just like it did before we took it all apart.:cry: My new tires will be here this week which makes matters worse. It's not real exciting driving around with a Bronco all leaned over to one side. It was suggested that I bend one of the radius arms to offset that 1.5 inch difference and call it good. At this point I'm willing to do anything. :(:mad::-[

Been there. I had to shave some material from the thick side of the poly bushings on one side to get the arms level. Best I could tell is the wedges aren't exactly put on evenly. That's no problem with rubber bushings but the poly isn't really compressible.

OP
OP
ProjectBronco70

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
So, I guess I should either shave some material from one of the bushings, buy some new bushings, bend one of the radius arms......anyone else have a suggestion?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Or could you machine some material off one of the sides of the clamps to change the angle? I am going to be chasing this too I have a sweet passenger lean. ALL STOCK with poly bushings.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So, I guess I should either shave some material from one of the bushings, buy some new bushings, bend one of the radius arms......anyone else have a suggestion?

I suggest shaving the bushings. They are cheapest (if you ever need to replace) and the easiest to work with. You'll need to shave both thick sides on the high arm end. That will effectively reduce the caster on that side but it wouldn't be a good idea to try to shave the thin sides on the low end.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about twisting the axle tube inside the housing? I know the old 30's used to do this on their own sometimes! Not sure if the 44's are a better fit, but I didn't have any trouble getting the last set on a 30 level as a tube just spun with my weight on the arm.

once it's settled into position, you can weld it to keep it there. But if it's tight enough to resist some force, I would not force it to spin since it's nice and tight and currently leak-free.%)

Are the pads clean and any scale and rust is ground off? The lube helps, but if there is enough buildup, it'll skew the install.

paul

OP
OP
ProjectBronco70

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
Ok, so I will probably end up shaving some of the material off the bushings on the high side as suggested. I'll also double check the axle wedges to make sure they are clean. we hit them with a wire brush last time but I'll check again before putting it all back together again. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it all works out when I get time to work on it.