• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper radiator hose collapsing (and other oddities)

okeefe01

Loc.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Okay, I'm stumped. I have a 69 with a 302. I was replacing the heater hoses, and I noticed that my upper radiator hose is collapsing on acceleration. I 've seen this with lower hoses but not upper. I looked at new hoses today, and they dont seem to be any stiffer, so I don't think it is just the hose.<br>The other strange thing is that when the engine gets up tp temp, I start feeling a consistent thumbing/surging in the hoses (not equal to rpm). Sometimes I even hear an irregular clicking/tapping sound.<br>It seems to be coming from the thermostat area. If I put my hand on the bypass hose, I could swear there were marbles going through it!<br>I may have a small leak in the heater core too. Going to get a new one ASAP.<br><br>Any thoughts on the surging and collapsing?<br><br>I never have easy problems!!!!!!<br><br>Thanks,<br>james<br><br><br><br>

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Change your radiator cap it is not venting from the collant recovery bottle and keeping your radiator full but this could also be caused by your leaky heator core.

dji

just an air lock. Undo the upper rad hose when cold and slowly fill with antifreeze thru the rad hose toward the block. Slowly. You'll hear the air burping while you do it. I had the same thing happen before. Should solve the problem.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I would say you can do the same thing by (with the cap off) squeezing the upper hose (cold) pushing air out, and filling with fluid as the level drops in the rad.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you are low on water, have air in the system, and a bad rad cap. <br><br>Add water, a new cap, and an overflow bottle if you dont have one. <br><br>I have even used a hose dropped into an old 2 litter bottle for a quick, free overflow to get through tech at the dragstrip. Ran it forever afterwards just because it worked.

OP
OP
O

okeefe01

Loc.
Cincinnati, Ohio
You guys were right

;D<br>You guys were right. I had a big air bubble rumbling around in there. I ran it without a thermostat, and the bubble belched its way out. I don't know why it was having trouble getting past the thermostat, but taking it out seemed to get things moving.<br>I think the air (and low coolant) is a result of the leaking heater core. So, that is next on my list.<br><br>Thanks for the help!!<br>james o'keefe<br>

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=11784;start=0#86658 date=1038453351]<br>Change your radiator cap it is not venting from the collant recovery bottle[/quote]<br><br>Who has one of those on there Bronco?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Before you install the new thermostat, drill a 1/16" hole through the outer frame of the new thermostat about a 1/16" away from inside border of the orifice hole where the valve opens up. If you drill the hole too close to the edge, the gasket will cover it up and defeat the purpose.<br><br>Your radiator will fill faster and no more big air pockets in the block because the hole will let air out. Some thermostats already have a pin hole in them somwhere, but in my opinion the hole is not big enough to suit me.<br><br>BH

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=11784;start=0#87928 date=1038928516]<br>[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=11784;start=0#86658 date=1038453351]<br>Change your radiator cap it is not venting from the collant recovery bottle[/quote]<br><br>Who has one of those on there Bronco?<br>[/quote]<br><br>ahem, i do. works good too. of course, it is a '77.....so it stops on a dime too. (If the dime is placed about 60' down the road from where I hit the brakes ;D) <br>