• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum Advance? Whats Wrong With This? - VIDEO

K. Schaefer

Hey Guys,
Everything is fine until you put a load on the engine, whats the deal? It starts and Idles fine but as soon as you hit the pedal it starts to starve for air/gas. I think it might be the vacuum advance but I'm not completely sure, got any ideas?

Ken S.

[youtube]z6k0DeQycFw[/youtube]
Subscribe to my bronco Youtube Channel if you want to be updated on all of the new neat things we are doing! We're trying to restore my old 1970!
Http://youtube.com/EarlyFordBroncos

Last edited:

57baja

Contributor
Hey Guys,
Everything is fine until you put a load on the engine, whats the deal? It starts and Idles fine but as soon as you hit the pedal it starts to starve for air/gas. I think it might be the vacuum advance but I'm not completely sure, got any ideas?

Ken S.

[youtube]z6k0DeQycFw[/youtube]

It sounds like it is a fuel problem. I had my timing off and backfired bad and screwed up the power valve. That was on a holley. It would idle then when you tried to give it gas it would die like yours is doing. Rebuilt the carb and all was fine. That is one possibility but could be a vacuum leak.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I can't see very well, but I say the vacuum advance is hooked up to wrong vacuum ..
... Carb has 2 kinds of vacuum off it one is ported and one is vendor. The vacuum on the dis needs ventior vacuum ... Or vacuum from under the butterflys not over the butterflys.
.... If you hook the carb up to ported or manifold vacuum then it pulls or advances the dis. in opposite time you need it too.
...Or too say another way it advances it when you let off instead of when you throttle up . It's in reverse.
....May not be your issue but it was mine back when I was about 16 instead of being 61

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think it's a timing advance problem. It sounds like the acellerator pump isn't pumping. Do you see fuel squirting down both sides of the carb throat when you open the throttle? It's easier/safer to check with the engine off.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I don't think it's a timing advance problem. It sounds like the acellerator pump isn't pumping. Do you see fuel squirting down both sides of the carb throat when you open the throttle? It's easier/safer to check with the engine off.

X2 If your accelerator pump is shot, she will act like it is running out of gas when you push the throttle.

ripcityracing

My guess is bad accelerator pump. With engine OFF, look down carb, work throttle and look for 2 streams of fuel out the pump nozzles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But if you're still running points in the distributor too, might as well verify that you have a good healthy spark. I've seen engines act that way when a condenser was going bad.

When did it start doing this? What was it running like before? Did this start gradually, or all of a sudden?

Paul

OP
OP
K

K. Schaefer

But if you're still running points in the distributor too, might as well verify that you have a good healthy spark. I've seen engines act that way when a condenser was going bad.

When did it start doing this? What was it running like before? Did this start gradually, or all of a sudden?

Paul

It ran wonderfully at christmas, then it sat for two weeks, then we tried taking it out for a drive and it just happened all of a sudden. We put stabil in the tanks so its not the gas... Not sure what the problem is :/

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, you put stabil in the tank. Did you pour it in and walk away? Or did you put it in, drive around, mix it in and get it up to the carb? I have heard of issues of dropping it in without mixxing causing issues.

Even though you used Stabil that doesn't garantee there isn't a carb issue.

OP
OP
K

K. Schaefer

OK, you put stabil in the tank. Did you pour it in and walk away? Or did you put it in, drive around, mix it in and get it up to the carb? I have heard of issues of dropping it in without mixxing causing issues.

Even though you used Stabil that doesn't garantee there isn't a carb issue.

Ohhhh that would make sense. I dont remember what I did but it is definately a carb or timing issue. I will check the pump and the vacuum when I get home.