• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage regulator question

galen1970b

I have a painless harness in my rig(it was in before i got it.)...I have been having charging issues...I just replaced my alternator as the old one tested bad. made sure the new one was grounded. I've been pouring over old posts on wiring...I cant find the painless instruction manual for the harness i have as it doesnt have the auxiliary fuse block so the current manual isnt really helping me(seems wires are different). From what i can tell....I have 4 wires going to to my voltage regulator.....when everyone has 3...that 4th green wire is hot and is going to the i terminal on the regulator.. I have no clue why.. I pulled the connectors out of the regulator and and jumped the "F" and "A" terminals....and my voltage definatly increased, even when i increased rpms(not to much after 14.5 volts i stopped)...So either i need to go pick up a new voltage regulator..or something aint wired right..

rokonbronco

Loc.
Westminster CO
Hook the I terminal to a 12 volt bulb. It is designed to start the alternator as an exciter. once the alternator starts the light will go off.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

I found the wiring manual for the harness I have installed.....I dont have a 12v light tester just my fluke meter. It looks like i have everything installed right...just need to go out and double check everything.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The regulator is same for both types of systems. The difference is in how it's wired.

Get rid of any connections to the I terminal. F goes to FLD at alt. S goes to 12V with key in RUN only. A goes to constant 12V (battery side of starter solenoid). Make sure the regulator is grounded.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Alright, its grounded, I removed the red wire going to the "S" post for both the alternator and the regulator. I took the green wire that went to the "I" terminal and doubled checked that it is switched 12v(on in run position) and put that switched 12v green wire to the "S" terminal on the regulator...and still nothing..everrything else is in the right place. I follow the yellow wire on the harness that goes from the battery post on the alternator....and it splices into the red wire thats connected to battery side of the starter solenoid....do i need to run a 3rd wire from the battery post to the solenoid? right now it has 2 wires...the power wire off the harness and the yellow wire from the "A" terminal on the regulator...and it gets a constant 12v. After studying the manual more...i notice that the maxi fuse is not installed either. I'm starting to think this VR is bad now too.. Thanks for your help Viper...this thing is driving me nuts..

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Fixed!!! I removed the voltage regulator....and it sounded like a pair of maracas inside.....replaced it....double check the wiring again and success!! Thanks again everyone!