• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Want to see pics of your rattle can paint jobs

maxhann

Loc.
Gilbert AZ
Hey guys, I would like some tips pointers, and pictures of your broncos that you have rattle canned. Thanks alot!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
did mine last year, it's faded since then. lot of sanding, i did mine one panel at a time.

Attachments

• DSCN2315.JPG
    DSCN2315.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2309.JPG
    DSCN2309.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 147
  • comm1.JPG
    comm1.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 129

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I plan to rattle more of this dude this spring, but I did one corner last year when I replaced a broken flare. Wimbledon white is readily available, which works great for me.

Attachments

• Rear Fender Before 40.jpg
    Rear Fender Before 40.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Rear Fender After 40.jpg
    Rear Fender After 40.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 109

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Take a look through my build thread - it's only 5 pages so far: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177175

I initially started out rattle canning the bronco and it was coming out pretty good until I started painting the larger areas like the hood. Then the paint started to get uneven. So I tried a different method that involves thinning some rustoleum with mineral spirits and rolling it on with a dense foam roller. Cheap and easy. Looks nicer than rattle can, but takes a bit longer. More details can be found in my build thread along with pictures. It may not be perfect but will work until I can get around to a good paint job.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I'll be "that guy" and toss in some unsolicited opinions...

1. If you ever think you want to paint the rig with automotive paint, just remember you'll have to remove that layer of rattlecan paint.

2. By the time you buy enough cans to do the rig you are pretty close to the price of entry level automotive paint. A cheap HF spray gun and inexpensive paint will look (and last) better than spray paint.

Just a little food for thought...

jperry1290

look at tcpglobal their paint is pretty cheap and applied well. i too was gonna go the rattle job till i did a lot of research and found auto paint to be about the same price with more durability. pm if you want pics

yewhi

Loc.
San Diego
look at tcpglobal their paint is pretty cheap and applied well. i too was gonna go the rattle job till i did a lot of research and found auto paint to be about the same price with more durability. pm if you want pics

+1 on the TCP Global idea. Not a bronco (actually more difficult to paint, IMHO) but I used their paint to turn this...
4650363962_f5a68896ed_b.jpg

Into this...

5232485069_58cd9e851b_b.jpg

Using TCP paint, a $9.95 HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight and virtually no experience.

Good stuff and durable with a nice gloss sans clear coat. Cost will be more out of the box, but it will look better and last longer than a rattle can. Down side is it is more mess, but probably worth it in the end.

Last edited:

Rockmnky

Rattle can flames now ten years old !!!!!! Been touched up twice in ten years !!!!!
still looks good !!!!!! This was suppose to be a temporary touch up until a full paint job!!

Attachments

• DSC00305.JPG
    DSC00305.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 62

redtail

What I want to know is where you can get enough automotive paint to do a whole bronco for $20 ;D

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Not rattle can, it's rhino lining...One of those love it or hate it things, but I have usually heard compliments. $600 was total price and it's nice to be able to throw tools on your hood without worrying about your paint. Its hunter green, BTW, even though it looks black in the pic. Got the UV protectant on as well for that price.

EB.jpg

EB2.jpg