• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warning 1976 Bronco on Ebay Warning

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Any newbies out there looking to bid on the black 76 bronco, this was built by Mike Stasz and he sold it about a month ago on ebay for around $16,000.
Someone copied his listing word for word and used his pics and is asking for $6800.

This listing is a scam listing. I just wanted to warn anyone considering on bidding on it.

John

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Figured it was, too nice for $6800.00 so lets all ask alot of questions of the guy and ask to see the Bronco.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Somebody needs to report this to ebay so they can cancel the ad and the scammer. I doubt all the Bronco enthusiast read this forum and I'd hate to see anyone get ripped off. I don't know enough about the pryor ad to report it.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't seen this particular auction, but these scams aren't uncommon. Ebay typically deletes them within a day or two, especially if you report it.

Usually these scammers steal a real eBay member's account through one of those fake "your ebay account has been limited" emails. (called "phishing" emails) Then they find recent auctions to steal the description and photos from. The price is set extremely low to attract those that still haven't figured out the theory of "if it's too good to be true, then it's not".

The other tell-tale sign of these scams is all links on the auction page are email links to the seller. You can't even bid on them half the time because when you click on the bid link it just opens an email to the seller.

So you email the seller and get the typical spiel about the guy being out of the country and just wanting to get rid of the vehicle at a great discount. The seller either wants a deposit up front via wire transfer or fake escrow service.

Obviously details vary, but that's the scam I've seen most often for eBay links.

OP
OP
thesnake

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention, I reported it last night. I didn't include a link as I was afraid it would get moved and maybe no one would see it.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
From my experiences with these turds they will take the listing off of ebay as soon as they are contacted by a member. They will reply to your email address that you sent the question from (unless you hide it) not leaving any ebay evidence or links to them or the item number. You can pretty much see it from a mile away even when it was just a starter sham from the first email on. It seems that the more simple plans will get someone screwed faster than the elaborate ones.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you do contact these people. Ask them for a full picture of the title to the Bronco with matching VIN# and a pic of the glove box door or kick panel matching VIN. They usually leave you alone then. They can't come up with a title they don't have.

Blue71

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I had to mess with him... I sent an email and E-Bay gave the following statement:

"The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below."

Who wants to guess the country? I am betting that it is a Nigerian saying that the bronco is in Italy.

Brettman

Loc.
Houston
just checked this persons Yahoo account...amazing! Newly revised October 16, 2006! Imagine That!

Where is my baseball bat!

suckerpunched

so can't someone here put a about a 100K bid on it so it won't be sold to some unsuspecting sole, and then not pay. or offer to pay cash when you pick it up. then at least he eats the listing cost, and you get leave him bad feedback.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Notice in his listing that he wants people to contact him at a e-mail address.. The way he has it set up won't allow you to bid on it without his approval. His goal is to steer you away from e-bay and do one of the old fashion check or money order scams...

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
Wow, morons, I cant believe that people could fall for things like this but...my father in laws friend bought a newer rig on ebay for a low ball price, it was bid on and he obviously won, but once the the deposit in money order form cleared the bank he never heard from him again. Just like that 5K gone.

Brettman

Loc.
Houston
Anyone complained to Ebay or turned them in yet? Anyone else tried to contact this Tard? If so I'd/we would like to see the response from the joker!

Brettman