• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warning: Oil Change Chains...brake problems

70 sport WA

Contributor
OK, so yes I used to change my own oil in every car for most of my life...but you get older and more lazy. So I took my Bronco to a place several days ago.

(I should have known there would be problems...the guy sitting in the driver's seat looking for the hood release under the dash and me having to walk into the bay to open it. Reminded me to of the time when I was 19 and had another Bronco: The guy trying to move the T-shifter thinking it was the thing to put it in gear. And so many other bad garage experiences in the years since.)

Anyway, things were fine for a few days. Then suddenly my brake pedal is going to the floor. OK for hard stops, but slow depression sends it to the floor.

I checked brake fluid level, it's about an inch low in the reservoir. Funny because I had checked it a couple weeks ago and it was fine...and only the first time in about two years I had checked it. Plus the guy at the quickie oil change place a few days ago said the level was fine.

OK, so I add fluid. No change. i think maybe it's the check valve ($6) so I change that; it tested fine, but maybe the fitting wasn't snug. Nope.

Finally I bleed the brakes. Everything is good. And I'm not the best brake-bleeder around.

Maybe there really is a problem with the master cylinder and I've made a temporary improvement. But in all the years I've had this rig, plus a complete overhaul of brakes about eight years ago, I can't believe there's a coincidence with this issue and my recent oil change.

Lesson: I'm going back to changing my own oil, greasing the fittings, checking differential oil levels, etc. Tired of other people making mistakes when I turn over the keys.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The one and only time anyone else has changed the oil in my Bronco, (I'm the original owner) the guy stripped the drain plug. :mad:
I was buying a set of tires and just thought it was convenient.

I've worked a dealership lube rack and at four different service stations.
I've never stripped a drain plug!

I can't think of anything the guy could have done to cause your leaky master cylinder. Moisture getting into the brake fluid is the biggest culprit. A complete brake bleed every few years is a good idea.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
I can't think of anything the guy could have done to cause your leaky master cylinder.

I can't, either, but these guys are capable of anything, lol.

Also during the visit: "We topped off your transmission fluid with ATF." I replied, "Uh, it's Type F." (They said it didn't matter but I don't know.)

I've had rags left under the hood. Lug nuts not tightened after a rear axle seal job (the wheel almost fell off). Reusing wiring and connectors for a new electric fuel pump that caused the ground to come off and DIE when I was trying to sell a '75 F250. Found their error and not only caused me a sale, but shocked me when the garage I trusted said the owner had done the work personally.

elan

Loc.
s
We had a dealer call and tell us the threads on the oil pan were stripped and a new pan and labor would be $700.00. "Wait !!! you are the only business the vehicle is taken for service, this is on you" They ate the cost. Those creeps knew darn well they did it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Jiffylube is known for srewing up. Cross threading filters and plugs. All the cases I know of they denied blame and said sue em.

77Bronco636

Just had Uncle Eds strip mine out on the wife’s minivan.....only reason I dont change it myself is I’m to fat to fit under the damn thing...;)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I will change my own oil until the day I can't get back out from under my Bronco. I am 65 years old and thankful for the 2-1/2" lift it has plus the easy access to the filter, no power-anything under the hood. ;)

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 71

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Had an ass clown attempt to use CHANNEL LOCKS once to remove drain plug. Dumb ass could have at least reached for the metric crescent wrench! LOL

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Left or right hand metric crescent? Big difference there

Bought a ranger, first oil change, oil drain stripped and repair plug twice needed RTVd in place, could not stop the leaks, had local shop replace oil pan, $1,100

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Different type of service and different part of the truck, but on the way through Oregon I had to stop and fill up. Was reminded by the attendant that they had to pump the gas. Ok...
So he proceeds to drop the nozzle and it swings on the stiff hose to the tune of a 10" crescent scar on the side of my otherwise pretty pristine paint.
Never even batted an eye. Guess they figure a truck is a truck and even a fifteen year old pickup without a scratch deserves some anyway. Even if they're not done by the owner.

I used to have no problem with others pumping my gas, back when that was normal everywhere. And people seemed to pay a lot more attention to what they were doing! But ever since I had to start pumping my own, I've cringed at the thought of someone else doing it anymore.
Like when the young kid took his squeegee to my soft top plastic back window!:eek:
Ugh...

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah. I always go with the first impressions. Haha

At least dont use same place again.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I will change my own oil until the day I can't get back out from under my Bronco. I am 65 years old and thankful for the 2-1/2" lift it has plus the easy access to the filter, no power-anything under the hood. ;)

Well, I'm 66 and can still work on my back.
When I can't pull the tranny anymore, that's when the Bronco gets handed down.:cry:

The worst thing about changing the oil is the goofy location of the oil filter. Right between the frame and PS pump.
Then the oil runs right down over the front differential. I use a piece of cardboard formed into a trough to direct the oil into the drain pan, but it's still a messy job.:mad:

TTownEP

So he proceeds to drop the nozzle and it swings on the stiff hose to the tune of a 10" crescent scar on the side of my otherwise pretty pristine paint.
Never even batted an eye.

When I bought my Bronco a couple years ago I went to what I thought was the only non-ethanol pump in town, which was full service (rare in AL). The dude dropped the nozzle TWICE while it was pumping, and gas went EVERYWHERE. All down the side of the truck, on his hands and arms, and of course all over the ground with my almost $4/gal fuel. He just said "well I always go home smelling like gas anyway"

I got home and did a bit of Google-fu and found a joint across town that had it for a way better price and I could do it myself.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
on the way through Oregon I had to stop and fill up. Was reminded by the attendant that they had to pump the gas. Ok...
Never even batted an eye. Guess they figure a truck is a truck and even a fifteen year old pickup without a scratch deserves some anyway. Even if they're not done by the owner.

Paul

Oregon is slowly coming around. They allow you to fuel your own at night in some rural counties.
From my experience though, if I show up with a newer car, the attendant will stop me if I grab the nozzle, but not when I have the Bronco.
My guess, is they figure anyone with an older car you probably know your way around a gas pump.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drove my M3 though that sate, started filling it and kid comes out, I say I got this, he says it's the law. I say I am the law. He went inside.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I'm in Oregon and they suspended the law for a couple months during this pandemic...at a time when they were germ a phobic all of a sudden everyone can touch them.
My Bronco and my 72 motorh I pump and never got any shit.
My diesel I get at a truck station.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
The worst thing about changing the oil is the goofy location of the oil filter. Right between the frame and PS pump.
Then the oil runs right down over the front differential. I use a piece of cardboard formed into a trough to direct the oil into the drain pan, but it's still a messy job.:mad:

That's why I put in a remote filter, just over the front cross member. Mounted so it's vertical. Only added a pint extra to fill.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My local toyota dealer cant do a routine service compete or right in the last 4 years. I always have to go over it when i get home. I dont let anyone touch my Bronco. The tacoma has extended warrenty that has to be maintained to be valid.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
My local toyota dealer cant do a routine service compete or right in the last 4 years.

My dad used to laugh after every time he took his mom's car into the local Toyota dealership for maintenance. He'd make an appointment for the "Vette," then watch the disappointment (or so he claimed) when it was grandma's Chevy Chevette he'd roll in with. Guess they were more trustworthy than the GM dealership ;D